Cable Internet Speed @ 1 Gbps but not at PC

kelleybill

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hello,

I think I've read the answer in forum but there's a lot of tech speak. Have a Belkin N Model F5D** Wireless router connected to a Cisco cable modem. When I connect via ethernet cable from Belkin wireless router to my PC, speed is 100 Mbps but when I direct connect from Cisco modem (provided by Charter), speed goes to 1 Gbps.

So, obvious question is what can I buy to bypass the Belkin (I guess that is what slows down speed...) and send Cisco signal directly to 1) my PC and 2) A Sony Netflix device. Specific models would be helpful..

Solution
If your modem doesn't have more than one ethernet plug then you'll have to end up buying some hardware.
You could purchase a gigabit switch and keep your existing wireless router, however depending on the cost of the switch it might be a better idea to just replace the router.

Something like a Cisco SG 100D-08 8 port Gigabit Switch would work. Connect that to your modem, then plug your wireless router into one of the ports and your PC into another.
The upside of upgrading your wireless router would mean you could get N range wireless. That said, unless your devices can support it, it would be kind of wasted.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Your wireless modem sounds like it doesn't have gigabit ethernet capabilities.
You could get something like a Linksys E4200 N range wireless router, which supports gigabit ethernet.

kelleybill

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

Hi arael

Thanks for answer. I was hoping that I could avoid buying a whole new wireless router and just bypass it for my hardwire connections. There must be an inexpensive 1 gigabit splitter or switch isn't there?

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
If your modem doesn't have more than one ethernet plug then you'll have to end up buying some hardware.
You could purchase a gigabit switch and keep your existing wireless router, however depending on the cost of the switch it might be a better idea to just replace the router.

Something like a Cisco SG 100D-08 8 port Gigabit Switch would work. Connect that to your modem, then plug your wireless router into one of the ports and your PC into another.
The upside of upgrading your wireless router would mean you could get N range wireless. That said, unless your devices can support it, it would be kind of wasted.

Solution