[SOLVED] Cable Modem Channel Queston

sms1295

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
When I was talking to tech support at Suddenlink about the possibility of upgrading my internet speed from 200 Mbps to 400 Mbps, he suggested that I should upgrade my modem to have at least 24 downstream channels since I now have higher speed internet and I have my phone & TV service through them. I have an Arris SB6183 modem. When I talked to there sales support to make the actual upgrade, they told me the modem I have now is fine. At the moment I'm not sure who to believe. I've thought about upgrading to an Arris SB619 with 32x8, but not sure if that would actually be worth the money or would improve my speed. After the upgrade, I'm averaging 320 Mbps. Not sure if I have a modem issue or still need to have Suddenlink look at my connection. Fyi...I use a Linksys - Max-Stream AX6000 router.

Any help would be appreciated,

sms1295

Solution
To some extent this depends on how the ISP implements things. Many times they will only offer the faster plans on modems with more channels. Very technically 16 downstream channels can run around 680mbps. The ISP tends to not want to push the technology to the limits since poor cables may make it not work for some people. Most ISP want 24 channels for anything above 300 even though in theory 24 channels can run gigabit.

The ISP should have a list of recommended modems for their different plans on their web site.

I suspect you are being limited by your current modem and one with more channels will give you the exta 80mbps. Unlike years ago you most times actually get slightly more than they rates the ISP promise on...
To some extent this depends on how the ISP implements things. Many times they will only offer the faster plans on modems with more channels. Very technically 16 downstream channels can run around 680mbps. The ISP tends to not want to push the technology to the limits since poor cables may make it not work for some people. Most ISP want 24 channels for anything above 300 even though in theory 24 channels can run gigabit.

The ISP should have a list of recommended modems for their different plans on their web site.

I suspect you are being limited by your current modem and one with more channels will give you the exta 80mbps. Unlike years ago you most times actually get slightly more than they rates the ISP promise on cable systems.

Solution

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
When I was talking to tech support at Suddenlink about the possibility of upgrading my internet speed from 200 Mbps to 400 Mbps, he suggested that I should upgrade my modem to have at least 24 downstream channels since I now have higher speed internet and I have my phone & TV service through them. I have an Arris SB6183 modem. When I talked to there sales support to make the actual upgrade, they told me the modem I have now is fine. At the moment I'm not sure who to believe. I've thought about upgrading to an Arris SB619 with 32x8, but not sure if that would actually be worth the money or would improve my speed. After the upgrade, I'm averaging 320 Mbps. Not sure if I have a modem issue or still need to have Suddenlink look at my connection. Fyi...I use a Linksys - Max-Stream AX6000 router.

Any help would be appreciated,

sms1295

It is not required, it is suggested.

Tech guy more channels means less notice of normal interruption on wide area networks known as cable that happen on networks every day. If I get him to upgrade, he wont need to call in as much.

Sales, I want to make sure he does this upgrade so I can get my commission and his modem covers the speed so an upgrade is NOT necessary.

Both are correct, its not required, but it is suggested. It will allow more channels for bandwidth and congestion management which offers the chance to maintain consistent speeds more often, but it is not required to make those speeds.

No idea about that router, but that's not part of this discussion if you need to upgrade your router, that's on you.