Cable modem + Hub + complicated setup

nat3r

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A couple questions for this one, My is on a network at his work and he wants to setup a network here sharing the cable modem. What Hub would anyone recommend(cheap preferably). Its only gonna be our 2 computers. How much of a conflict is there gonna be because his computer is setup on a different network? thnx in advance

G

I use a linksys hub, netgear are fine too. If you money is no object, a 3COM will do nicely as well. Although for the price a 3COM hub, you can get a linksys or netgear cable/dsl router with switch ports.

lostinms

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got a Linksys Hub and network cards. I really realy like them. I paid $89 for the whole setup. Bought it at the local Wal-Mart.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lostinms on 12/02/00 06:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I use a Netgear hub, and have had no problems with it. My first hub however, a D-link, quit working in 100Mb mode, so I switched it to 10Mb, and eventually just stopped working all together. I don't recommend D-link. They are cheaper, but they suck.

nat3r

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for all the replys. Right now All i'll use it for is Routing the net to my dads comp, I wanna go downstairs with the cable so we probibly need 50 ft of cable, I hope that doesnt make a big difference.

G

THe maximum rated cable length for UTP is 100 metres (328 feet) so your 50' of cabling isnt going to matter. Also, if you just have the two computers hooked up together you dont need a hub at all. Just a length of crossover UTP cable plugging directly into each NIC.