Cable Modem IP?

travbrad1001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
I'm hosting a LAN party tomorrow evening and I wanted to know how to route my cable through a hub and then to all the people at the LAN. Any tips would be helpful. My friend at school said I need to check out the gateway to find the IP adress of the cable modem but I don't know how to do this. Any help would be appreciated. I know these may seem like ridiculous questions but Ive never done this before so cut me some slack

G

Need more info than that. Do you have a router, or do you want to just use your PC (or a second pc that you own) to run some internet connection sharing. 2K OS I assume, seeing as we are in that section.

You can figure out your ip by going to ipcongig in the command menu. (not to talk down to you like you knonw nothing, but just incase you have no idea what I'm talking about go to the start menu and the go to run. type "command" in to the box that pops up. Once the comman prompt comes up type in "ipconfig" and then hit enter. You will then be able to see your ip address.)

Depending on how your cable modem is set up, like if it only has an rj45 connection and not a usb connection (& you don't have a router.) One of the easiest ways is to run your PC with 2 network cards and then run internet connection sharing from your pc. (One note if you do it that way, remember to hard set the ip of the card that will be connected to the lan.)

If you have a router set up it'll just be plug and play, as long as everyone is set up to obtain an automatic IP. As far as seeing everyone strait out in network neighborhood, it's a whole lot easier if all of you switch to the same workgroup (although it is not really needed.)

GOOD Luck and I hope you enjoy

travbrad1001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
Okay, at the last LAN I was at we used a hub to share my friends DSL. So how do you share internet through a hub as opposed to a router? It seems like I would need to set up a proxy. Are there any guides out there for setting up a proxy. Any tips to setting up a proxy. Ive never done it before.

G

U don't really need a proxy, just set up internet connection sharing which should be part of your OS. While using the one card to take in the WAN (From the cable modem) Use your 2nd network card to connect to the lan (hub) Make sure to hard set the ip on the nic card that's hooked up to the hub and leave automatic setting on the nic card hooked up to the cable modem. Sorry can't give you exact locations for Internet connection sharing on 2K cause I don't specifically remember, and I'm at work on a 98 machine. Good Luck

Also I think I'm a little late with this info (sorry was out of town) Did the lan party happen? Was it a sucess?

Let me know