cable modem problem with win2k

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I'm running win2k professional and my cable modem connction seems to ah heck up quite a bit. When I run photoshop, dreamweaver, winamp, icq, my internet connection seems to stop working. I check it by typing ipconfig under MS DOS prompt, and it tells me that application failed to initialize properly. I can try different applications, and I get the same error a lot. This is a really annoying problem, does anyone know how to fix it?

I'm running windows 2000 pro with SR1, P3-800E on an Asus P3B-F, and 256MBs of ram.

Thanks

Sparks

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if it's an external cable modem, connected to your NIC (Network Interface card), try updating the NIC's drivers. I suspect something causes your cable modem to decide your computer is off and ditch its assigned IP.

~Crapple0

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Thanks for the reply

I looked at Dlink's website for newere drivers. Unforunately, they don't have any windows 2000 drivers for their DFE530TX cards :'(

Could it also be sometihng else? I know the NIC is good because it works like a dream under FreeBSD.

Thanks

Sparks

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
go to best buy and get a $20 NIC. If the problem doesn't go away, return it.

Another note...have you tried talking to your cable provider? it might be a faulty modem or something

~Crapple0

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I called up my cable modem provider and the moron told me I don't have enough ram duh!!

I talked to my friend and he used to have the same problem. He told me it was the buffer settings in windows 2000.

I'll try another NIC I have lying around and see what happens. A 10mbps NIC should be sufficient to handle my internet and file transfer ..etc :)

Sparks

G

Im running an AMD700 with 256 MB of ram and i have no problems running win2k with a cable modem...

You have plenty of ram

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
eemm.. I talked to my friend and he said it's a buffer underrun problem. He mentioned that windows 2k has a small desktop buffer or something...and I changed the buffer settings with TweakI, and the problem is still there. I'm going to try another NIC tomorrow and see how that goes

Sparks ;)

G

I believe you’ll find that Photoshop is the culprit. I have seen the same thing on other workstation’s running Photoshop 5.5 under W2K SP1. This only happens after Photoshop has been open for a while. I was looking for a workaround myself but for now I have them disabling their NIC’s while Photoshop is open and enabling them breifly when checking mail or if they need network access. A little hassle but simple to do and better than rebooting for now.