Cable modem routers

Dave8671

Distinguished
What I am looking for is a gateway + router that can have a good signal and be able to find my network printer. My home is 1950 sqf.

My current modem router is Netgear N300. The main issue is the WIFI signal is low downstairs. Mainly its my Samsung note 5 and my tablet galaxy tab2. seems to have issues with the signal and take long time to load a page. I can stream Netflix and amazon video just fine on 802.11G with my PS4.

I did buy a Netgear Orbi router with one satellite. that was better signal but it would not find my HP5530
network printer. I turned off the WiFi on my modem and use the orbi only a day after I discovered the network printer issue. It seems that only gateway + router can find network printer at least in my case.

It is just pure coincidence that your printer work on "only" a modem/router.

Your largest issue is nobody can really recommend any modem other than your cable company. The cable company has a list of modem they will support and this list can be different based on the neighborhood you live in. That is why they always ask for your address when you search this stuff.

So you are going to be limited to models on the ISP list even if other may technically work many ISP refuse to activate any device not on their authorized list.

It almost has to be a issue with the printer. The orbi fully supports all the protocol the older n300 does.

Maybe a option would be to leave the current modem/router the way it is and use the newer orbi as a AP only. Not sure how the satellite device will function when you do that. You really don't want to use any form of extender/repeater like those satellite things unless you have no other options.

Then again it might be cheaper to just toss the offending device in the trash if you can't get it to work and buy a new printer rather than buy more modem and router.

Dave8671

Distinguished
My isp told me any modem-gateway with DOCSIS 3.0 will work they just need the mac address. I use a local cable service called Thames valley communications. I returned the orbi the day after printer issue discovery did not mention that. I used that as a wifi and turned of my modem wifi

The isp did use Motorola surfboard modem combos but changed to a off brand due to the surfboards were never new but used and repaired models. The off brand had the same result with the network printer. Is there a protocol that is used with networks in modem for network printers?

I did have to use my old N900 netgear router wirh the off brand modem for my printer to be detected on the network in the passed that router died may it rest in piece.

There is a firmware update for the printer but it does not help the connection issue. Its for a security bug.

As long as they will activate it then you have no issues.

Still you are likely better served to use your current modem/router as just a modem and buy another router. Almost all can be put in bridge mode.

Now which router you buy is still a hard question. It is completely unpredictable how well a router will work. In general there is not a huge difference between the major brands of routers as far as coverage goes. What has more effect is your house and the end devices you have to connect. So every install is different which is why you have to be really carefully of consumer reviews...especially ones that say it works like crap or works really good for me with no other details. In most cases they are reviewing their environment more than any particular router.

Any name brand router that says it can run 1200 or 1450 or similar numbers is a good starting point. You would only buy better if you have devices that can use the faster speeds.

Still the common recommendation to solve coverage problems is not to try to find some great router that can cover your house. The best solution is to put a second radio source downstairs. If you have a ethernet cable connecting downstairs you can use any router as a AP. If not you can consider using powerline units and placing a router/ap down stairs. There are powerline units that have a built in AP in the remote unit. I have not used these but they should save a little money rather than buying a second router or ap.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Lets list my devices

2-PS4 1 not on at a time, two laptops and two desktops tablet and two cell phones. I have tried the the power lines for this house and they do not work. the one I tried always lost connection. The numbers 1200 or 1450 and changing a router to a bridge I never knew that was a option. I really want to stay around 200. I do not understand how I can use a router as a AP when its not a gateway I thought a modem was a AP?

Dave8671

Distinguished
From my experience with the network Printer not being discovered it seems to be when I try using a router as a wifi point and not the modem wifi. [ though I use my old nethgear N900 with no issues]For right now the N300 is working find for the computers in the house. I know I will try a surfboard modem/router again right now I have other things to tend to thanks for the insight.