PhoenixBennu

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I work from home, and tomorrow I start a new job as an IT Help Desk Analyst. So, in true form I have been trying to fix my own problem, but I don't think there is a solution I can do from my end. Though, I wanted to see if someone else might have a recommendation. Even a temporary one.

I live in a rural area, so my internet speeds are not that great. I used to have ATT UVerse which was 10mbps down and 1 mbps up. I switched to Zito Media which is 100mbps down and 3-4mbps up. Sometimes I can get close to that, but lately its been having issues.

The problem always changes, but overall it seems to always come back to signal levels. I assume they have some bad amplifier hookups or maybe multiple ones and I am downstream from multiple amplifiers, but overall my DL signals are high. On 256 QAM Modulation, all my signals for downstream are around 77dBmV. My SNR is around 38-39 which is good, and up upload is around 107dBmV.

So, right now I am only getting around 5-8 mbps download. Still getting 3-4 upload, but download is bad. This has been going on for months now, because of bad storms, flooding, etc, and since then there has been an outage once a week it seems, if not multiple times. They have balanced the lines, come out and swapped the modem out after the last one melted, etc.

I had enough, and I found out ATT finally gives a bit better speed. 25mbps instead of 10. I have then coming out Friday morning to hook up a line. I am keeping both ISPs. With Zito works, its better by far, but I cannot be working from home and not have internet. I would get fired pretty quickly. So, I am going to have both as backup. I make enough on the new job to absorb the cost, even if I really would rather not. I have to go with what options are available.

The big concern here is that Zito cannot get someone out to try and fix the signals until late next week. I need it fixed, or at least slightly improved before then. Does anyone know of a quick way to help mitigate the signal level issues that I can do from my end?

Thank You

Image of signal levels: View: https://imgur.com/3cZN9Q4

PhoenixBennu

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I was thinking of doing this. I have to check around to find somewhere that sells the coax cable. Don't know if the walmart in the town over does or not. I believe they have the splitters, though. From wha I gather it should reduce signal by 3.5dBmV which won't be much when I am looking at an excess of about 60, but anything helps.

What is very strange about your numbers is that both the down and up numbers are high.

As I suppose you know they are extremely out of range. It is surprising it works at all with numbers that high.

I am unsure if some kind of splitter or other method of degrading the signals will help. The upstream power is the level your device transmits at it does not represent what the ISP receives. The ISP equipment will instruct your modem to transmit at higher and higher levels until it gets enough signal. In theory if you were sending too much power the ISP would ask your modem to go lower. The high number means the ISP is asking your equipment to send more because it can not detect it well. If you were to filter it the number should actually go up.

Maybe your modem works different. Most completely die when you get above 55. 50 or 51 is about as high as they function well.

Not sure I have never hear of someone with number that far out of spec both on up and down.