Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Is there anything to watch for when selecting a cable modem, or is one basically as good as the next? For example, 2 DLink cable modems on MWave sell at about a $20 difference. The cheaper one is USB or ethernet accessible, and the more expensive is ethernet only. There weren't readily available specs, but the little blurbs were identical other than the connection options. What's the difference here, or with any company?

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
No real difference other than the USB version is probably a newer model that they figured out how to make cheaper. There may be minor differences between brands, but it seems to be more cosmetic and price than anything. Any modem should work with your ISP. You will have to call them, give them the make, model number and MAC address of the modem, then sit back and wait for the ISP to activate your connection.

Jarrett

Leezard

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
Most of the newer cable modems are basically the same. Some offer only USB connectivity. Unfortunately I have not found this to be better than a RG45 connection. It tends to depend on the type of OS you are running. Personally I prefer using the RG45, Something about connecting my Network thru a mouse or Camera port bothers me. If you get one that does both it is usually worth the extra $$ just as mentioned before verify with your ISP to see if it is acceptable. Remember you get what you pay for (most of the time)

tgoviper

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
How goes it...
I recommend the Toshiba models.
They have a lower probability
of heating to the poing of freezing on you.
I also recommend using the Ethernet connection
and forgetting about USB. Even though it's a newer
standard, it's much slower than good 'ol Cat-5.
Go Figure, huh?
Good Luck!!!