[SOLVED] Cable Modems that enable SNMP?

Dec 14, 2019
I have a new ARRIS SB8200. Either Comcast has locked it out or it doesn't support SNMP. I have had long-standing issues which I won't get into here (off topic), but I want to start collecting statistics from the cable connection and store those in a database for future reporting. I found a python script that scrapes some basic info off the ARRIS web UI, but it's just basic.

I've searched Google and it would appear that, short of some hackery that could get me into trouble, my options may be limited. That is, and unless, I could somehow tap the connection from another unit and monitor that way.

Anyone have a similar scenario or better information?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Yeah, I may need to tap that connection and run stats off it. The Orbi/netgear router I have doesn't provide any advanced features like that. Just summaries.

Let me give an example: I've noticed that when I utilize my upstream bandwidth my download stream gets throttled. I can repeat this every time and I've experienced this with different routers. I suspect it's an unadvertised/automated system that is discouraging certain types of malicious traffic. But that's one of the issues I'm trying to track in a historical context.
Since you have to acknowledge packets what you are generating can cause problems. If you use all your upstream bandwidth with other traffic, then those acknowledgement packets can be delayed. They...
Dec 14, 2019
I would like to gather statistics on performance throughout the day, must like (for example) RRDTool, etc. and keep a history; particularly, I want to compare usage stats in times where I use an upload channel, etc.

Dec 14, 2019
Yeah, I may need to tap that connection and run stats off it. The Orbi/netgear router I have doesn't provide any advanced features like that. Just summaries.

Let me give an example: I've noticed that when I utilize my upstream bandwidth my download stream gets throttled. I can repeat this every time and I've experienced this with different routers. I suspect it's an unadvertised/automated system that is discouraging certain types of malicious traffic. But that's one of the issues I'm trying to track in a historical context.

kanewolf

Titan

Since you have to acknowledge packets what you are generating can cause problems. If you use all your upstream bandwidth with other traffic, then those acknowledgement packets can be delayed. They can be delayed to the point where the originator thinks they are lost and retransmits the original data. If you have very asymmetric bandwidth like 500/10 then you CAN impact your downlink performance by using most of that 10Mbit with locally generated traffic. That is to be expected.

Solution

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I have a new ARRIS SB8200. Either Comcast has locked it out or it doesn't support SNMP. I have had long-standing issues which I won't get into here (off topic), but I want to start collecting statistics from the cable connection and store those in a database for future reporting. I found a python script that scrapes some basic info off the ARRIS web UI, but it's just basic.

I've searched Google and it would appear that, short of some hackery that could get me into trouble, my options may be limited. That is, and unless, I could somehow tap the connection from another unit and monitor that way.

Anyone have a similar scenario or better information?

Thanks in advance!

Did you enable snmp in the orbi system? Its disabled by default.

Dec 14, 2019
As of the current firmware, I do not see SNMP available (I have looked). The representative from Netgear said they are not allowed to use third-party tools like NET-SNMP (eye roll).