Cable Modems

G

I'm gunna stop renting my Surfboard cable modem and buy one so I can save $10 a month... I've been trying to find some reviews on some, but crap... there doesnt seem to be any good reviews of'm out there.. so. Anybody know a good Cable modem to get or a good review site that has Cable Modem reviews?... I didnt find any here on Tom's.. =(

Thanks

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Surfboard modem are good. Get the 4100 model. Or Toshiba sells good modmes. I think they are up to the pcx 1100 now or something.

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yep, buying your modem is the way to go. You can pay it off in 10-15 months depending on your rental fee. I used to rent a Surfboard 3100, but turned around and bought the Toshiba 1100u. There's really only about three companies to choose your modem from: Bestdata, Toshiba, and Motorola. USR stopped making their modem.

You get a USB port along with a ether port on the Toshiba, but you can find the model without the USB port too. The Bestdata and Motorola have 'standby' switches, so you can shut down your connection without having to turn off the cable modem.