[SOLVED] Cable Works with Old Monitor but Not New Monitor?

Petros_K

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Graphics card: Radeon HD 6450 which has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI (dual link) output

I have been using both outputs with success to duplicate screen to a HD TV (with a standard HDMI cable ) and to an older Hannspree 19" flatscreen monitor (with a DVI to HDMI cable).

Just bought a new HP M24fe monitor to replace 19" older flatscreen.

Tried to run it on same DVI to HDMI cable and it won't work. I get an image but a) it has distorted thin green horizontal lines that flicker, and b) I can't get the taskbar to show no matter what resolution I try.

If I run the new HP monitor from the HDMI output on the graphics card using a standard HDMI cable, it works fine.

Questions:

1. Is the DVI to HDMI cable broken? Sometimes on the older 19" monitor the image cuts out, but if I move the cable or twist it a bit the image comes back and looks fine. When I use this cable with the new HP monitor, the image also cuts out but if I get it to work the image is as described above and not right.

2. Can newer monitors like the HP M24fe work with DVI to HDMI cables or is there a compatibility issue?

3. Should I try another cable before concluding I need a new graphics card with 2 HDMI outputs?

Solution
Faulty cable:

"but if I move the cable or twist it a bit the image comes back and looks fine. " and "When I use this cable with the new HP monitor, the image also cuts out but if I get it to work the image is as described above and not right. "

Cables can be very sensitive especially with respect to plugs and ports.

My thought is that when the cable is plugged into the new monitor there is still just enough difference in "fit and feel" that some lose of connectivity occurs.

Likely to degrade even more.

Certainly try another new cable before moving on to another new graphics card. And there may be other interim things that can be done.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU...

Ralston18

Titan
Faulty cable:

"but if I move the cable or twist it a bit the image comes back and looks fine. " and "When I use this cable with the new HP monitor, the image also cuts out but if I get it to work the image is as described above and not right. "

Cables can be very sensitive especially with respect to plugs and ports.

My thought is that when the cable is plugged into the new monitor there is still just enough difference in "fit and feel" that some lose of connectivity occurs.

Likely to degrade even more.

Certainly try another new cable before moving on to another new graphics card. And there may be other interim things that can be done.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Solution

Petros_K

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
I'm going to try new cable first. I was having more problems today getting the cable to work with my old 19" monitor. Screen image gets a green tint or I just get snow.

But there shouldn't be a reason the new HP monitor above won't work right using a DVI-D output from the graphics card and then HDMI connection at the monitor, as long as I use the right cable, right?

Petros_K

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Got it sorted with a new cable.

Bought a DVI to HDMI adapter and a standard HDMI cable. Both older Westinghouse 26" LED HDTV and my new HP M24fe monitor are working as duplicate displays connected with HDMI cables to the Radeon HD 6450 graphics card. Running both at 1920 x 1080 even though TV native resolution is 1366 x 769 because there's no option to duplicate monitors and change only one.

Text looked bad initially on the TV, but turning down the sharpness control made it smoother and legible. Works. But I need a new TV that does at least 1080 to look better.