CableMod Makes You Work For DIY Cable Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Not a good idea. Extending cables means voltage loss. Loss at the connector and loss over the length of the cable. As well as the mentioned cable mess to deal with. And of course dont forget the possibility of putting the pins in the wrong order(from someone who constantly wires connectors by hand, even if you have done it 1000 times, its easy to get distracted and accidentally do the pinout wrong, got to tripple check everything)

Voltage loss over the cable = more amps traveling over the cable to supply the same load = more heat in your case, and higher power bills(minor but still there).

Voltage loss if not regulated correctly will also potentially cause instability issues. If something expects 12 volts and you lose 0.5 volts on your cable you are only feeding 11.5, could easily push something out of spec. Voltage loss over 18 inches of 18 gauge copper wire at 10 amps is 0.19 volts(0.3 volts if aluminum), which isnt a lot, but we are already working with low voltages, and i could easily see it being a problem with some electronics.

If you really want looks, get the modular power supply and replace the entire cable.

AtkinsFriendly

Reputable
May 26, 2015
I'd agree with you None12345 (if that your real name) on the Ohms law but in this case, this isnt as bad as you think. Max cable lengths are only 60cm (~23") and the voltage loss is very minimal over that length. Much of the hardware in the PC has a fair bit of play in voltage to work optimally. Hard drives for instance usually run between 11-13volts and installing these cables onto it wont really push it out of that spectrum. Although, it wouldnt be wise to make a 6' daisy chained power cables out of these. This is a case mod and like any mod, you do run the risk of messing up and ruining the pins and damaging hardware, but if you're take the time to do it right, this is a huge time saver to get the look you want in your case and the feeling of DIY Accomplishment.

pahbi

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
I wouldn't worry about the length. Devices in the computer are going to have voltage regulators on their input side to maintain proper operating voltage.

With DIY cable extensions I'd be more worried about crossing pins or otherwise screwing up the wiring.

- P

The biggest resistance factor would be the connector itself, but even there, it would be of the order of 1% max.

If you need extra length for cable management and don't want to switch power supply, it is a cheap and easy option. I am surprised tis was never been done before.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
If I understand these, they plug into the end of your existing PSU cables opposite from the PSU and should be pre-wired in fixed lengths. No way to mess up your wiring, as they should be wired "straight".

N3XUS_49

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Your pc's components are designed to handle the little differences which, varying cable lenghts can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS