[SOLVED] Cabling question

Aug 1, 2020
So I have Fios at my house, I would like to run another cable from the fios box on my house outside wall ( buried cable comes from pole to house)to my detached garage. Ideally this would be run overhead as I already have a metal cable run overhead from the house to the garage (75 feet) that the new fios wiring can be suspended from / attached to. The way it is now I have a splitter at the equipment box on the outside of my house and a coax type cable screws in to it then goes through my attic to my router for the house, I was wanting to connect another cable to empty spot on the the splitter and run a cable to my garage for internet out there, wth a separate router. Anyone know if this is feasable and if I can hire it done by an independent contractor, located in Dallas TX

Solution
Check the model of modem/router you have. Many of the ones from verizon have a built in moca adapter. All you would have to do is put a splitter between the ont and the router and run that to the remote location. You can then buy a moca adapter to covert the moca signal to ethernet at the far end.
That is exactly how my house is set up.
A splitter, coax, and one MOCA upstairs to provide hardwired ethernet.
I have 100/100 from FiOS, and can't tell the difference from upstairs, or something wired directly to the router.

Coming from the ONT, the signal is already injected into the coax. Just needs a single MOCA device to extract it at the garage.
Do you want a second connection to the fios network or you just want to connect your garage to your current one.

You would need a second fiber connection to get a completely different fios account and the ISP would have to agree to this and it would be up to them how the fiber gets to the second location.

It depends on how the internet is delivered. If the internet goes from the ONT to the router via coax then you likely can just put a splitter in the cable between the ont and the router. These routers support moca (at least on verizon). All you would do is run the coax to the other building and put in a moca adapter. You would be on the same network as all the other devices in the house.

If the ONT to router is ethernet then you can't use the coax unless you buy 2 moca boxes. Still if you are going to run cable a ethernet cable that plugs into the lan port of router would be simpler than using moca and then still hooking the moca to a lan port.

Aug 1, 2020
Thanks, just to be clear I know VERY little about computers and wifi, but I would like to have reliable service in my detached garage, for security as well as internet, I’m ok with being on the same network and router as the house, trying to figure out the best option

Check the model of modem/router you have. Many of the ones from verizon have a built in moca adapter. All you would have to do is put a splitter between the ont and the router and run that to the remote location. You can then buy a moca adapter to covert the moca signal to ethernet at the far end.

USAFRet

Titan
That is exactly how my house is set up.
A splitter, coax, and one MOCA upstairs to provide hardwired ethernet.
I have 100/100 from FiOS, and can't tell the difference from upstairs, or something wired directly to the router.

Coming from the ONT, the signal is already injected into the coax. Just needs a single MOCA device to extract it at the garage.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Aug 1, 2020
Great, Thanks again for all of your help. I will be running the RG6 type F cable from my Home ONT device directly to this unit, the cable will not go through my existing ( in my house) router.

Aug 1, 2020
Yes that is exactly how it is in my house. At one time there was a seperate router located just inside the house from where the ONT equipment is, which allowed better coverage in the house, Frontier removed the extra router but there is still the coax splitter on the outside wall, I plan on using the empty spot on the existing splitter located outside to connect my RG6 cable and run it out to my detached garage, so it wont go to the in house router at all. Again, Thanks for bearing with me and walking me through this, I am super excited about having internet in my shop as well as a wifi type alarm system to offer some peace of mind with my vintage dirt bikes being kept in the shop.