[SOLVED] Cache Hierarchy Error and CPU Fan Error ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2021
Over the past week I have had an issue when gaming in that the PC restarts. Initially I thought it was RAM/PSU related but I have tested he RAM and replaced my PSU and it is neither of these. Both MemTest86 and Window Memory Diagnostic found no RAM error. I only found the CPU fan error after changing out the PSU and changing the BIOS to warn about it. My build is as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card

The CPU fan is running, it is connected to the CPU_FAN1 slot on my B450 Tomahawk Max Motherboard and all connections are good. All BIOS/drivers on all my hardware is up to date. This is not linked to the fan speed as I maxed out the CPU fan speed being too low in the BIOS and restarted and it still showed the same error. The PC is crashing when the system is under load gaming only, this is backed up by the Event Viewer which is identifying the Processor Core as suffering an error.

"A fatal hardware error has occurred"

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 8

It is possible it is a processor error, but the CPU fan error will likely be adding to this issue although I did wonder if it was related to the CPU not getting sufficient voltage during high usage? I have ran several tests including: BurninTest, Speedfan, HWInfo and Prime95 with no errors or issues I could see.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution

BIOS Version: 7C02v3A2, Released 2020-12-10
What with the problem you're having running with full-on stock settings does seem a good idea for now.

That BIOS rev uses AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 Patch D, and is a BETA BIOS. It's really intended for 5000 series CPU support on B450 motherboards. While I'm not saying it's necessarily going to be unstable and the cause of the problems on your B450 Tomahawk MAX I also don't know that it brings anything to your 3000 series processor. I do have to think it makes for an unnecessary complication considering what you've been experiencing. It is, after all, considered BETA for a reason as it wasn't fully regression tested on earlier processors. You might consider rolling back...
Jan 24, 2021
What temps are you getting on the cpu?
Idle, around 25-35C (According to Speed Fan and BIOS), With PRIME95 running in the background it i touching 79C according to MSI dragon Centre and HW monitor with the CU fan at over 2500 rpm (I still have it maxed out).

When gaming and the crash kicked in, MSI afterburner showed temps around 60-70C.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Jan 24, 2021
What BIOS rev are you running and have you kept chipset drivers updated?

How is your system set up; specifically are you over-clocking or under-volting?

Details as follows:

Chipset Drivers: 2.10.13.408, Released 10/19/2020

All kept up to date and no overclocking, even the A-XMP is off in BIOS.

What with the problem you're having running with full-on stock settings does seem a good idea for now.

That BIOS rev uses AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 Patch D, and is a BETA BIOS. It's really intended for 5000 series CPU support on B450 motherboards. While I'm not saying it's necessarily going to be unstable and the cause of the problems on your B450 Tomahawk MAX I also don't know that it brings anything to your 3000 series processor. I do have to think it makes for an unnecessary complication considering what you've been experiencing. It is, after all, considered BETA for a reason as it wasn't fully regression tested on earlier processors. You might consider rolling back to 7C02v37 with AMD AGESA ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.6, the latest version fully tested and stable with your processor.

If that's not an option then you might wait until a BIOS with ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.0 comes available. I've read MSI is readying BIOS updates with it for their 400 and 500 series motherboards. Hopefully it will help even though still BETA on B450.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.