CAD and Gaming

JeiTai

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
I'm going to need CAD in like September and I'm also planning on getting a new graphics card.

My current one (HD7850) is having troubles with newer games and there are even more demanding games to be released.

I heard that both nVidia and AMD will release new graphics cards this year. Would a new card (gtx1070,r9 480) be capable of CAD as well as gaming? Or should I get two different cards, one for games and one for CAD? Or are cards such as Firepro and Quadro able to run modern games?

I have 3 screens, because i don't like switching from window to another and while gaming i like to have for example skype/teamspeak and a web browser open. If I need to go for two graphics cards and multiple screens are too much of a problem I can get rid of 2 of them.

Thanks! :)

Solution
Heya, depends what type of CAD. Most I believe are more reliant on the CPU, but others use the GPU for lighting and keeping the actual render loaded so you can move around smoothly. A 1070 or 480 should deal with anything you throw at it, unless you're designing an object with a crazy number of vertices and ray traces. Then you'd be shelling thousands out on a Firepro/Quadro.

For example, my 750Ti runs all of my university work fine, but it's only first year stuff on Inventor/Autocad/Maya. Catia next year may change that though.

Two separate graphics cards would make it unwieldy to run three monitors concurrently, you would either need 6 display cables and change the input every time you wanted to change what GPU you want to use, or...

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
A graphics card won't be bad in AutoCAD. If you're going to use it intensively, with heavy rendering operations than you should get a render card no doubt. However if you need CAD for studying then you will be fine with just a normal graphics card, like the R9 390 or the GTX 970. GPU's are close to releasing, so perhaps wait indeed.

Twigman

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Heya, depends what type of CAD. Most I believe are more reliant on the CPU, but others use the GPU for lighting and keeping the actual render loaded so you can move around smoothly. A 1070 or 480 should deal with anything you throw at it, unless you're designing an object with a crazy number of vertices and ray traces. Then you'd be shelling thousands out on a Firepro/Quadro.

For example, my 750Ti runs all of my university work fine, but it's only first year stuff on Inventor/Autocad/Maya. Catia next year may change that though.

Two separate graphics cards would make it unwieldy to run three monitors concurrently, you would either need 6 display cables and change the input every time you wanted to change what GPU you want to use, or plug both into a displayport kvm and use a hardware swithc to do it for you (I'm not even sure that's possible, project for me over the summer!).

TL;DR, A single GPU of your choice will serve you well, regardless of what you want to do with it :) ~

Solution

JeiTai

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Sorry, I forgot to answer/pick the solution.. had a lot of school and work stuff. Anyway, I did read your answer back then and I ended up buying a used R9 390X which is doing its job well.
So thank you guys a lot!