Cadillac CUE: Why a Touch Screen is Not Always a Good Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]aredeecee[/nom]Why would you want this in a car to begin with?[/citation]

There's a reason why there's a luxury goods market, such as gold-plated and jewelry studded iPhones.

After driving my fathers F150 with it's touch screen system, I quickly realized that touch screens do not belong in vehicles. Buttons allow you to feel without looking away from the road. Touch screens force you to look away from the road.

starwreck

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
I tried CUE a little bit on an ATS, its a million times better than the original BMW iDrive system was. With any luck it'll improve quicker than iDrive did.

blcskate

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I have owned four Cadillac's in a row now. All brand new. The sad thing right now is there are no good ones to buy. The Escalade is the same as my last one was. I have an SRX currently. The CTS is very uncomfortable and feels cheap. The ATS - too many problems to list. The XTS no V8 WTF. The XLR is the worst interior I have ever seen and it is not an everyday car. The STS was a far better car then anything they have on the market now. Caddy had better pull a rabbit out of their hat in the next year or two or when I trade in my SRX I will not be at a Caddy dealer.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Blasphemy! Everything should be controlled via touch screens, including light switches and faucets. Touch should be everywhere! Touch touch touch mobile social touch!

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]tuffjuff[/nom]Complaining about lack of smooth UI operation and then talking about Android? LOL[/citation]

My android phone (Note II) has very smooth operation. Maybe prior to 4.0 and 4.1 (with project butter) you'd have a decent argument. However, it's dramatically improved as of late.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I don't get it, they say don't use phones in cars but then load up cars with extremely complex GUI's with GPS and radio, mp3, usb controls, etc.. They load these cars with tons and tons of touch screen features which absorb your concentration when you're just trying to change radio station.

At least with buttons you had tactile feedback and you could look at the road while feeling with your fingers.

now you can't, you have to look at the damn screen...

"Talking on a phone is dangerous, but focusing on a touchscreen figuring stuff out while driving is legal and perfectly fine"

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]After drying my fathers F150 with it's touch screen system, I quickly realized that touch screens do not belong in vehicles. Buttons allow you to feel without looking away from the road. Touch screens force you to look away from the road.[/citation]

Exactly. My Nissan Versa was the first car I owned that has the audio and bluetooth phone controls on the steering wheel. So easy to change radio stations or CD tracks as well as answer a phone call. The only possible thing I could say I would like about this would be for the navigation, but even that doesn't sound like it should be attempted while the car is moving. I guess the only good thing I can say is at least it is not Microsoft powered, get a BSOD and the car dies, requiring you to turn it off and restart (sort like the issue with audio volume going full blast).

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]blcskate[/nom]I have owned four Cadillac's in a row now. All brand new. The sad thing right now is there are no good ones to buy. The Escalade is the same as my last one was. I have an SRX currently. The CTS is very uncomfortable and feels cheap. The ATS - too many problems to list. The XTS no V8 WTF. The XLR is the worst interior I have ever seen and it is not an everyday car. The STS was a far better car then anything they have on the market now. Caddy had better pull a rabbit out of their hat in the next year or two or when I trade in my SRX I will not be at a Caddy dealer.[/citation]
Stop buying shitty domestic luxury vehicles....

G

I'll stick with my 2002 Lincoln LS, radio controls on the steering wheel, rwd, 50/50 weight distribution, 22-29mpg, no rust, and very reliable overall. Puts my 2001 Sable to shame, that car broke every time I sneezed.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]tuffjuff[/nom]Complaining about lack of smooth UI operation and then talking about Android? LOL[/citation]

Have you tried a recent nexus phone like the samsung or the LG? Smokes the iPhone in term of smooth UI operations IMO. The base OS just looks amazing, it blows my mind why manufacturers put in overlays.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]Have you tried a recent nexus phone like the samsung or the LG? Smokes the iPhone in term of smooth UI operations IMO. The base OS just looks amazing, it blows my mind why manufacturers put in overlays.[/citation]

I disagree, having used an iPhone for the past year I used the Galaxy S3, nexus, and surprise surprise the UI loves to chop up a bit in a lot of cases. Same with all the Android tablets i've used, swiping an image across the screen or swiping the whole screen lags a bit.

You can have the best hardware in the world, but if the software doesn't keep up - sorry, no. I want my phone to just do what its got to do quickly and without hassle.

[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]I disagree, having used an iPhone for the past year I used the Galaxy S3, nexus, and surprise surprise the UI loves to chop up a bit in a lot of cases. Same with all the Android tablets i've used, swiping an image across the screen or swiping the whole screen lags a bit.You can have the best hardware in the world, but if the software doesn't keep up - sorry, no. I want my phone to just do what its got to do quickly and without hassle.[/citation]
Funny, my wife's iPhone likes to do just that: chop up quite a bit. The only way the OS can keep up with the user is by deploying that ridiculous opening/closing animation. That, in turn, drives her crazy because it feels so slow. When touching an icon on the screen she expects an app to open, not a shutter/slider/whatever other animation to launch. Same goes for closing apps; I mean, they're just closing, WTF the need for animation then?
Conclusion: iOS doesn't do things quickly, nor without hassle. It just deploys smoke and mirrors to create the appearance of a fluid interaction, without actually having one.
The only upper hand iPhones used to have was the quality of the materials deployed in their construction. Nowadays, that is lost with the soda-can feel of iPhone 5.
Today, WP8 has the crown as far as smoothness and fluidity in operation goes, without fancy time-consuming animations. Too bad there are not that many professional apps for it (yet).

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]There's a reason why there's a luxury goods market, such as gold-plated and jewelry studded iPhones.[/citation]
Because Darwinism has failed and somehow these people are still around?

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Blasphemy! Everything should be controlled via touch screens, including light switches and faucets. Touch should be everywhere! Touch touch touch mobile social touch![/citation]
I know your trolling ... but grats on the single most stupid thing even posted on Toms. You now get to work as Zak's intern.

[citation][nom]QEFX[/nom]Because Darwinism has failed and somehow these people are still around?[/citation]
More likely, the more successful are the ones purchasing these items. They have the money, and can afford to pay extra for items with frivolous upgrades.

f-14

Distinguished
i can't take a review of any one who listens to kesha seriously.

it's like taking stock trading advice from some one who still wacthes seseame street

btw why is 'the cloud' broken and certain 'clouds' are gone forever along with the games that were stored on them.

loving that cloud where i can no longer play the games it requires because the cloud is gone forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS