Cadillac XTS: Beauty and High Tech Come in Bundles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I'd rather have a muscle car. Challenger, Camaro, or maybe a Mustang.
But as I'm paying for/in college I won't be able to afford one for some time.
Damn you ever increasing college fees!*

*(UMass tuition is cheap, it's the college fees make up almost all the total cost)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]rhinelander[/nom]Its actually a very nice car, but I am not about to pay that amount for a V6. Freego, your an idiot. Cadillac/Buick are the dominate luxury brands in China. All the europeans combined are not even a fraction of what Cadillac and Buick do there. Its the Europeans that have a long way to go....not to mention the european issue of making cars that suck big time on reliability.[/citation]

You do realize that VW makes more cars the GM -or anyone else for that matter- ? And at a PROFIT !
I have driven Fords, Chryslers, misc GMs, BMW, Benz and more as I travel a lot.
On US highways and their slow speeds anything with 4 wheels will get you from A to B.
US cars do not age well as US manufacturers build for the 'new' buyer. Go to Europe and see for yourself how many US cars you see (Opel don't count as they build different, and better cars!)

Now drive a US car with its soft Interstate suspension in Europe; on the Autobahn... and you will be very surprised; and not in a good way. Or try to navigate and then park in downtown Paris, London, Munich or Berlin. US cars are build for wide roads, long turn radii and big parking lots, not parallel parking in crowded and narrow streets.

Europeans have different requirements for their cars than americans do.
In the US you like your quarter mile acceleration 'race' or Driving in circles in NASCAR; Europeans love F1. So cars are manufactured with this in mind. Ask a European what his best quarter mile times are and you get a blank stare. We drive distances, and FAST. Unmodified US cars tend to overheat if you try it.

Incidentally; NASCAR just had it's race in Montreal on the same track that F1 uses. F1 does a lap in about 1:12, NASCAR needed 1:42 :)

G

Your right, the CTS is inferior to any BMW or Mercedes, and is totally incapable of driving any road that isn't a straight line.

That explains why it SET THE WORLD RECORD on the Nürburgring for production sedans (and has only been surpassed by the Panamerica Turbo)

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]jvan97[/nom]Your right, the CTS is inferior to any BMW or Mercedes, and is totally incapable of driving any road that isn't a straight line.That explains why it SET THE WORLD RECORD on the Nürburgring for production sedans (and has only been surpassed by the Panamerica Turbo)[/citation]
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]You do realize that VW makes more cars the GM -or anyone else for that matter- ? And at a PROFIT !I have driven Fords, Chryslers, misc GMs, BMW, Benz and more as I travel a lot.On US highways and their slow speeds anything with 4 wheels will get you from A to B.US cars do not age well as US manufacturers build for the 'new' buyer. Go to Europe and see for yourself how many US cars you see (Opel don't count as they build different, and better cars!)Now drive a US car with its soft Interstate suspension in Europe; on the Autobahn... and you will be very surprised; and not in a good way. Or try to navigate and then park in downtown Paris, London, Munich or Berlin. US cars are build for wide roads, long turn radii and big parking lots, not parallel parking in crowded and narrow streets.Europeans have different requirements for their cars than americans do.In the US you like your quarter mile acceleration 'race' or Driving in circles in NASCAR; Europeans love F1. So cars are manufactured with this in mind. Ask a European what his best quarter mile times are and you get a blank stare. We drive distances, and FAST. Unmodified US cars tend to overheat if you try it.Incidentally; NASCAR just had it's race in Montreal on the same track that F1 uses. F1 does a lap in about 1:12, NASCAR needed 1:42 :)[/citation]

When was the last time you drove an American car in Europe? 1999? Because what you are saying was absolutely correct 10 years ago. However it's 2012 now, and both Cadillac (V-series) and Chevy (ZL1, Z06, ZR1) are running circles around your "superior" European cars on your home turf. It doesn't end there...not only are the American cars winning in performance, they are also winning the quality/reliability battle too. VW/Audi has consistently ranked among the worst brands in the world in terms of quality, while Cadillac and Buick have been in the top 5 for nearly a decade. Just like McDonalds...the fact that you sell the most of something does not prove that you sell the best of something.

Oh, and NASCAR is the most profitable race series in the history of racing...last I checked, F1 is still trying to figure out how to stay out of bankruptcy. It's pretty clear which is more popular.

I think GM and all of the "Big Three" made astronomical advancements in interior and exterior design since the 90's and even the 2000's. Even the 2005 Cadillac STS was panned for the cheap look and feel of the interior and that was just 7 years ago.

I congratulate Cadillac for being able to transform itself from a "luxury" brand to a real contender once again.

Now though, it would be nice to have more differentiation between models. In this respect, GM still suffers from their old problem.

[citation][nom]rhinelander[/nom]Its actually a very nice car, but I am not about to pay that amount for a V6. Freego, your an idiot. Cadillac/Buick are the dominate luxury brands in China. All the europeans combined are not even a fraction of what Cadillac and Buick do there. Its the Europeans that have a long way to go....not to mention the european issue of making cars that suck big time on reliability.[/citation]

Actually, when I was in Beijing last summer, no Cadillac. A lot of Buick though - you'd think Buick was a Chinese brand.

For the luxury segment, Audi has it locked down. Following its heels is Mercedes-Benz. BMW isn't as strong in China for some reason.

Lexus also makes a good showing with strong numbers, but nowhere near even Mercedes-Benz.

Status
Not open for further replies.