[SOLVED] Calculating max connections to ARGB header

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hi all,

I am planning my build around the ASUS X570 Prime-Pro motherboard. It's only got a single 5V ARGB header and according to the manual it has maximum power rating of 3A (5V) and will support up to a maximum of 120 LEDs. How do I calculate if the ARGB LEDs I am planning to install can be supported by that single header?

The case for my build is the Phanteks Evolv X, which comes with built-in twin ARGB strips under the front panel and a single ARGB strip along the PSU shroud. The manual does not indicate how many LEDs each of these strips contain, but I'm going to guess 30 LEDs as the standard strip number of LEDs. These are daisy-chained. I am planning to get 3x 120mm and 1x 140mm Phanteks Halos Lux Digital fan frames. Each Halo has 30 LEDs. Also planning to get two more Phanteks Neon ARGB Light strips (another 30 LEDs each).

Built-in case ARGB: 30 x 3 = 90 LEDs
Halos fan frames: 30 x 4 = 120 LEDs
Neon strips: 30 x 2 = 60 LEDs

So total: 270 LEDs

These are all daisy-chained ending with a single ARGB female connector and plugged into the motherboard ARGB header. However as indicated earlier the header has a limit of 120 LEDs. Will this not work?

On top of all that, I have a Deepcool Castle 360EX AIO with yet another ARGB connection. Since there is only one ARGB header and I want to control the AIO ARGB separately from the Phanteks ARGB (ie. can't use Y-splitter), I'll need to buy a controller - Phanteks Digital Controller Hub that comes with 3 ARGB headers, and a single ARGB female plug that will go into the motherboard ARGB header. That solves that problem. But I still have the LED limit to deal with (now with even more LEDs because of the AIO).

Any way around all this?

Thanks!

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
If said hub has a SATA power connection, you shouldn't have to worry about, there.

Indeed it does! I was also thinking about other controller alternatives that uses USB2 connection to the motherboard instead of ARGB. Corsair Commander Pro would've been a great option but it can only be controlled with iCUE and I'd rather keep everything within Aura Sync.
Are there other controller options that uses USB and is software-agnostic? I know there's also ASUS ROG Terminal (which of course would use Aura Sync) but it's sold out literally everywhere and as far as I know is used more for external lighting?

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011