Question Calculating Watt and buy or not a new PSU

Sarmato

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
Hi, I need a hand to resolve doubts.

1) I wanted to calculate the consumption of the PC to understand if my PSU was adequate and if I could try an pushed OC.. I tried to calculate it using various sites but everyone gave me completely different results;
I have a xfx Pro650W Bronze
Intel i5 9600k
Nvidia Rtx 2070
Asus z390-F
360mm AIO
Ram DDR4 2x8
2 SSDs, 1 HHD, 1 bluray player
Fan 2x200mm, 6x120mm (3 of AIO), 1x140mm all argb connected to a controller
Led strip with controller (precisely corsair Lighting node pro)
3xUSB (external wall-powered HHD, headphones and more) besides mouse and keyboard

2) My power supply is 5 years old and doesn't seem to bother me. Would it be right to change it for an Evga G3 650W or wait for his death? I also tried to find out if there was a difference between a Bronze and a Gold in my electricity bill, but even here I didn't find any precise answers. The new one would be also modulate that it would not be bad

3) I would need male-male 3-pin connectors to connect the various fans and LED strips to the controller but I can't find them. You know where I can get them. I found only the 4-pin ones and I could remove a central tip if i can't find the 3.Connectors are these
View: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/7ilHI02

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
1) What I do is plug my system into a Kill-a-Watt meter and check watts at the wall. That way you can check it at various times under various loads.

2) I see nothing wrong with the PSU that you have now, as long as it wasn't abused or underwent some catastrophic electrical fault.

3) What kind of LED source are you using that only requires 3 pins? The circuit provides +12v, R, G, B... or are you talking strictly non RGB LEDs?

Sarmato

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
I don't know that way to check watt...great.
For abused do you mean every day on? If yes, my answer is yes

3) What kind of LED source are you using that only requires 3 pins? The circuit provides +12v, R, G, B... or are you talking strictly non RGB LEDs?
They are argb fans from Cooler Master.All the fans are connected to controller through 3-pin and the controller to motherboard(argb header socket) and Sata of PSU

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No, abused meaning poor physical treatment or allowed to get clogged with dust/dirt and overheat. If you used the PSU everyday gaming for 5 years, it might be nearing the EOL for some of its components, yes.

Not familiar with the CM A-RGB controller. It would still seem it would need 4 pins for a light strip, tho. Maybe post a pic of the item(s) you're trying to connect, and where you are wanting to connect it to.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, that! Now I remember. I came across that in another post last year. Couldn't figure it out then either. But PaperDoc jumped in with an explanation. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read what he said. That is a different technology (addressable RGB as opposed to RGB, the 5050 standard) and is not wired the same as the other 4-pin connector. You don't want to force a connection.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS