Call of Cthulhu

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Okay, I'm pretty geeked for this game now. Anyone else impatiently waiting
for it to finally be released?

Jonah Falcon
 

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
590
0
18,980
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 2005-03-09, Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Okay, I'm pretty geeked for this game now. Anyone else impatiently waiting
> for it to finally be released?

Does your character even have stats or any development? Looked
like an adventure game to me.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:22:46 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:

>On 2005-03-09, Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Okay, I'm pretty geeked for this game now. Anyone else impatiently waiting
>> for it to finally be released?
>
>Does your character even have stats or any development? Looked
>like an adventure game to me.

Most likely is - one review site didn't make mention about any development
about player stats, and placed focus on having to remember/interpolate your
character's inventory and status. (In addition to implementations about
insanity.)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> once tried to test me with:

> On 2005-03-09, Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Okay, I'm pretty geeked for this game now. Anyone else impatiently
>> waiting for it to finally be released?
>
> Does your character even have stats or any development? Looked
> like an adventure game to me.

Actually it's more of an action game. I don't think it has stats. But it
does have a lot of combat.

--

Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 12 Mar 2005 14:57:48 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> On 2005-03-09, Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>> Okay, I'm pretty geeked for this game now. Anyone else impatiently
>>> waiting for it to finally be released?
>>
>> Does your character even have stats or any development? Looked
>> like an adventure game to me.
>
>Actually it's more of an action game. I don't think it has stats. But it
>does have a lot of combat.

Starting to sound like Vampire: Bloodlines, only without the attempt at
pretending to be an RPG by having stat development :((

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>
Why doesn't DOS ever say 'EXCELLENT command or filename !'
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Alfie [UK]" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:4ek631pav4ie6rfbuqm0h7opk99qshb4a8@4ax.com...
> On 12 Mar 2005 14:57:48 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
> >Actually it's more of an action game. I don't think it has stats. But it
> >does have a lot of combat.
>
> Starting to sound like Vampire: Bloodlines, only without the attempt at
> pretending to be an RPG by having stat development :((

Pfiffle. It's a first person "shooter" where stealth and conflict
avoidance are as important as combat, because encountering cthuloid monsters
makes you go insane. And insanity is bad. The game has no stats, no HUD, it
is as if looking out one's own eyes; to check ammo one looks at the gun, to
check health one looks at a mirror - and as one's sanity begins to fray,
one's perceptions of the world warp. This has no relationship to RPGs or
even pseudo-RPGs, it's more of a horror-shooter, with built in
reinforcements on the horror side. Go to the website (dark corners of the
earth is the thing to google for). Learn. Then post about it.

-Michael
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Michael Scott Brown" <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:
>"Alfie [UK]" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>news:4ek631pav4ie6rfbuqm0h7opk99qshb4a8@4ax.com...
>> On 12 Mar 2005 14:57:48 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>> >Actually it's more of an action game. I don't think it has stats. But it
>> >does have a lot of combat.
>>
>> Starting to sound like Vampire: Bloodlines, only without the attempt at
>> pretending to be an RPG by having stat development :((
>
> Pfiffle. It's a first person "shooter" where stealth and conflict
>avoidance are as important as combat, because encountering cthuloid monsters
>makes you go insane. And insanity is bad. The game has no stats, no HUD, it
>is as if looking out one's own eyes; to check ammo one looks at the gun, to
>check health one looks at a mirror

Well that's a little bit silly. Who has to look in a mirror to see if
they are injured?

>- and as one's sanity begins to fray,
>one's perceptions of the world warp. This has no relationship to RPGs or
>even pseudo-RPGs, it's more of a horror-shooter, with built in
>reinforcements on the horror side. Go to the website (dark corners of the
>earth is the thing to google for). Learn. Then post about it.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> looked up from reading the entrails of
the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>"Michael Scott Brown" <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>"Alfie [UK]" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>news:4ek631pav4ie6rfbuqm0h7opk99qshb4a8@4ax.com...
>>> On 12 Mar 2005 14:57:48 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>>> >Actually it's more of an action game. I don't think it has stats. But it
>>> >does have a lot of combat.
>>>
>>> Starting to sound like Vampire: Bloodlines, only without the attempt at
>>> pretending to be an RPG by having stat development :((
>>
>> Pfiffle. It's a first person "shooter" where stealth and conflict
>>avoidance are as important as combat, because encountering cthuloid monsters
>>makes you go insane. And insanity is bad. The game has no stats, no HUD, it
>>is as if looking out one's own eyes; to check ammo one looks at the gun, to
>>check health one looks at a mirror
>
>Well that's a little bit silly. Who has to look in a mirror to see if
>they are injured?

A Leper with a cut somewhere he can't see directly, like his face.

Well you did ask.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
>"Michael Scott Brown" <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Pfiffle. It's a first person "shooter" where stealth and conflict
>>avoidance are as important as combat, because encountering cthuloid monsters
>>makes you go insane. And insanity is bad. The game has no stats, no HUD, it
>>is as if looking out one's own eyes; to check ammo one looks at the gun, to
>>check health one looks at a mirror

>Well that's a little bit silly. Who has to look in a mirror to see if
>they are injured?

People who're interacting with a computer, of course. But it
could still be sorta-kinda realistic, or at least possible.
Maybe the main character has that condition where he has no
pain nerves. People like that really don't necessarily notice
that they're hurt unless something calls their attention to
the wound - catching sight of yourself in a mirror, slipping
on the blood that's dripped on the floor, hearing someone
scream "What the hell is that sticking out of your chest?!"
You know, little cues like that.

Pete
 

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
590
0
18,980
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 2005-03-16, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:

> People who're interacting with a computer, of course. But it
> could still be sorta-kinda realistic, or at least possible.
> Maybe the main character has that condition where he has no
> pain nerves.

Which condition is that? Seriously, I've never heard of it.

> People like that really don't necessarily notice
> that they're hurt unless something calls their attention to
> the wound - catching sight of yourself in a mirror, slipping
> on the blood that's dripped on the floor, hearing someone
> scream "What the hell is that sticking out of your chest?!"
> You know, little cues like that.

That's fine but you'll be spending a lot of time "checking up" on
yourself if this is what they want to do. Then some industrious
modder will add a health bar and it will turn into a straight
shooter.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
>On 2005-03-16, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:

>> People who're interacting with a computer, of course. But it
>> could still be sorta-kinda realistic, or at least possible.
>> Maybe the main character has that condition where he has no
>> pain nerves.

>Which condition is that? Seriously, I've never heard of it.

I have absolutely no idea what it's called, and I'm not
sure what the effects would be in the real world as opposed
to various stories where something similar was used. I do
remember reading an account written by a woman whose two
children both had the condition. Her son was about four
or five, I guess, and he had a very hard time of it. First
of all, since he didn't feel pain he was constantly injuring
himself by being careless. He also had no real empathy for
other people's pain, because he didn't know what it was.
So he'd hit his little sister or other playmates way
too hard, because he didn't realize he was hurting them.
The image I really remember is when the mother described
coming into a room to see her son jumping up and down
on his sister, very hard, while the sister giggled and
laughed like it was a grand old time.

Not a condition I would wish on anyone, but especially
children.

Pete
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:27:34 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-03-16, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
>
>> People who're interacting with a computer, of course. But it
>> could still be sorta-kinda realistic, or at least possible.
>> Maybe the main character has that condition where he has no
>> pain nerves.
>
>Which condition is that? Seriously, I've never heard of it.
>
There are several disorders that either mess with the bodie's ability to
send pain messages, mess with the nerves themselves, or mess with the
chemical balance in the brain that stops the brain intepreting pain
signals. All of them are incredibly rare, for instance CIP has only 34
cases documented worldwide, HSAN 5 has 25 cases in the US..

'CIP - congenital indifference to pain'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4195437.stm

'HSAN 5 - hereditary sensory autonomic neuropathy Type 5' is one
condition http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4788525

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>
There are no known cases of cannibals eating clowns. Is it because they taste funny ?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:27:34 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-03-16, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
>
>> People who're interacting with a computer, of course. But it
>> could still be sorta-kinda realistic, or at least possible.
>> Maybe the main character has that condition where he has no
>> pain nerves.
>
>Which condition is that? Seriously, I've never heard of it.
>
AFAIK leprosy. COuld be another one though.

Lynley

>> People like that really don't necessarily notice
>> that they're hurt unless something calls their attention to
>> the wound - catching sight of yourself in a mirror, slipping
>> on the blood that's dripped on the floor, hearing someone
>> scream "What the hell is that sticking out of your chest?!"
>> You know, little cues like that.
>
>That's fine but you'll be spending a lot of time "checking up" on
>yourself if this is what they want to do. Then some industrious
>modder will add a health bar and it will turn into a straight
>shooter.

Just like the modder who enabled you to use a gun and torch at the
same time in Doom3. While the original idea added to the suspense, it
just made no sense.

Lynley
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:11:39 +0200, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:27:34 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On 2005-03-16, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> People who're interacting with a computer, of course. But it
>>> could still be sorta-kinda realistic, or at least possible.
>>> Maybe the main character has that condition where he has no
>>> pain nerves.
>>
>>Which condition is that? Seriously, I've never heard of it.
>>
>AFAIK leprosy. COuld be another one though.

Leprosy is a contageous infection that eats away at the body, leaving it in
a crippled state. The actual condition(s) have already been described by
other posters.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thusly Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> Spake Unto All:

>>Well that's a little bit silly. Who has to look in a mirror to see if
>>they are injured?
>
>People who're interacting with a computer, of course. But it
>could still be sorta-kinda realistic, or at least possible.
>Maybe the main character has that condition where he has no
>pain nerves.

I'm thinking it's not that kind of health you check with the mirror.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:03:26 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:11:39 +0200, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:27:34 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On 2005-03-16, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>> People who're interacting with a computer, of course. But it
>>>> could still be sorta-kinda realistic, or at least possible.
>>>> Maybe the main character has that condition where he has no
>>>> pain nerves.
>>>
>>>Which condition is that? Seriously, I've never heard of it.
>>>
>>AFAIK leprosy. COuld be another one though.
>
>Leprosy is a contageous infection that eats away at the body, leaving it in
>a crippled state. The actual condition(s) have already been described by
>other posters.

Time for a discussion of the White Gold Wielder RPG!

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
 

nostromo

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
681
0
18,980
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thus spake bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau), Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:03:26
-0500, Anno Domini:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:11:39 +0200, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:27:34 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On 2005-03-16, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>> People who're interacting with a computer, of course. But it
>>>> could still be sorta-kinda realistic, or at least possible.
>>>> Maybe the main character has that condition where he has no
>>>> pain nerves.
>>>
>>>Which condition is that? Seriously, I've never heard of it.
>>>
>>AFAIK leprosy. COuld be another one though.
>
>Leprosy is a contageous infection that eats away at the body, leaving it in
>a crippled state. The actual condition(s) have already been described by
>other posters.

Bzzt! Most leprosies are fungal/bacterial conditions which deteriorate the
nerve endings & slow blood flow to the extremities. The actual infection &
rotting is a 2ndary condition caused by physical damage that is not treated
soon enough because the person doesn't realise they've damaged a
finger/toe/leg/arm until it's too late.

--
Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) once tried to test me with:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:11:39 +0200, Lynley James
> <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:27:34 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On 2005-03-16, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>> People who're interacting with a computer, of course. But it
>>>> could still be sorta-kinda realistic, or at least possible.
>>>> Maybe the main character has that condition where he has no
>>>> pain nerves.
>>>
>>>Which condition is that? Seriously, I've never heard of it.
>>>
>>AFAIK leprosy. COuld be another one though.
>
> Leprosy is a contageous infection that eats away at the body, leaving
> it in a crippled state. The actual condition(s) have already been
> described by other posters.

Leprosy is a disease that affects the nerves. From wikipedia:

"Also, contrary to popular belief, Hansen's disease does not cause rotting
of the flesh; however, due to nerve damage, extremities may become numb
which may lead to minor infected wounds being unnoticed until damage is
permanent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprosy


--

Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <Xns961EBB72879E5knight37m@130.133.1.4
>, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>"Also, contrary to popular belief, Hansen's disease does not cause rotting
>of the flesh;

Piffle. I went to a leper hockey game and there was a face off in the corner.

Jim