[SOLVED] "Callcenter headset" (one jack for in and out) - silent voice

redoxius

Reputable
Jan 18, 2020
Dear community,

I was looking for a possibilty to enjoy my 5.1 sound system while gaming online but still being able to communicate with a headset. Therefore, I tried the Plantronics Rig 100HS, which features a mono speaker for one ear and a microphone - both run over the same headset-jack (3,5 mm).

Unfortunately, the transmission does not work. I plug the headset in via the microphone-jack of my sound card. Alas, my voice is barely audible. I have tried the headset with both my Asus Xonar DS as well as the Realtek onboard sound card, both with the most recent drivers. Mic boost was activated. With a friend's rig, it works flawlessly - so the headset is not faulty. Also, my old headset (with separated jacks for mic and speakers) works with both my cards, so I suppose there is some kind of problem with the transmission over one single 3,5 mm jack.

Does anyone know a solution for this?

Thank you and best regards!

Solution
You need a 4 pole to dual 3 pole adapter, issue you may have there is you can get grounding noise if you only plug one of those into the system, or see if you can find a mic only headband solution.