[Calling all motherboard experts]Best Motherboard for the ultimate build- GTX 980ti and i7 4790k?

5384vishal

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Ok I have Selected three brands and selected boards which I think are good enough with the GTX 980ti and i7 4790k....

ASUS
Asus Z97-PRO
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Asus Maximus VII Hero

GIGABYTE
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Soc

ASRock
ASRock Z97X Killer

Criteria:
Most important :Should not have Realtek audio card
and Can be overclocked easily

Information needed:
1)I am inclined towards Asus Maximus VII Ranger.Will it be able to take the two beasts?
2)How different are the boards among the others of the same brand ie. differences between the cards of same brands.

Calling all motherboard experts!!!!!!!

The ASUS Z97-Pro has a RealTek audio device on it (ALC1150), although mine works without problem, and sounds fine - better than the old SoundBlaster Audigy 2 in my old PC. The ASUS Maximus boards' SupremeFX Audio is a variant of the same RealTek ALC1150.

The ASUS boards have really nice overclocking features. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J81qFsUbROE

Sorry, can't comment on the other boards/questions.

5384vishal

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

MSI makes the worst boards already suffered alot.Wont repeat the same mistake again.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Lol. I would strongly beg to differ maybe many years ago not anymore they make some of the best.

5384vishal

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

How one is better than other technically?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Chokes, how long the capacitors are rated for, the amount of power phases, sound card quality, SLI support, size of chipset and vrm heatsinks but more than anything software features like more extensive power control, fan control, auto overclocking. An asus ROG board would be good for like 3 way sli and a watercooled heavily overcloked cpu but even then i bet the difference between a rog and say z97a even with 3 way sli and a heavy overclok would be minimal at best due to pretty much all the things that the motherboard use to do being moved onto the cpu. Years ago a high end mobo may have gotten you a good performance increase nowadays not so much.

Z97-A has the RealTek ALC892, and the PRO has the ALC1150, which is supposed to be better (the ROG's have an upgraded and more isolated ALC1150). The PRO has more power phases than the A and 2 extra SATA ports but lacks PCI slots, but the ROGs have higher-quality VRMs (the VRMs don't actually need a heatsink, according to Asus' JJ), and capacitors are rated to 10k hours instead of 5k hours, IIRC. The ROGs are more tuned for overclocking (i.e. the BIOS leans towards OC'ing), and they have some interesting bells-and-whistles (KeyBot hardware macros).

Performance-wise, most Z97 boards perform similarly, due to the CPU architecture (i.e. the CPU's integrated VRM removes a fair bit of variance).