Calling all regulars - Need help

trikstadude3

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I'm seriously considering getting this laptop :

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Productinformation/ASUS_K61IC_JX019V__7457160

The card listed is the NVIDIA GT 220 M with 1GB VRAM .

I have no knowledge whatsoever about this card, so need some opinions ;

Will it play Far Cry 2, Assassins Creed, GTA IV with medium/high settings at 1024x768 ? That's the resolution I usually play at.

I also mostly play a game called Combat Arms, will this max it out ?

Also give me some opinions about the laptop itself.

Solution
Low or medium maybe. High, no.

The GT220M is most likely weaker than the desktop GT220, which in turn performs between a 9400GT and 9500GT (both of which are non-gaming card)

You might be able to play most those games on low/medium. Assassins creed with medium/med-high.

Also, FarCry2 and GTA4 are very CPU intensive. You can get away with 30fps in FaryCry2 with a 2.0GHz mobile P2D, but not GTA4. Even with lowered resolutions/settings, GTA4 is a horribly coded console port that will make your fps unplayable without a powerful cpu.

What country are you in and what is your budget?
Low or medium maybe. High, no.

The GT220M is most likely weaker than the desktop GT220, which in turn performs between a 9400GT and 9500GT (both of which are non-gaming card)

You might be able to play most those games on low/medium. Assassins creed with medium/med-high.

Also, FarCry2 and GTA4 are very CPU intensive. You can get away with 30fps in FaryCry2 with a 2.0GHz mobile P2D, but not GTA4. Even with lowered resolutions/settings, GTA4 is a horribly coded console port that will make your fps unplayable without a powerful cpu.

What country are you in and what is your budget?

Solution

trikstadude3

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Is the CPU good on the laptop ? I thought C2D was better than Dual Core, but this is only dual core 2.1GHz. Is it a bad processor ?

Last processor I had was a 3.06GHz Pentium IV. Is this hugely better ? =/

And what about Combat Arms ? Will this run it well ?

trikstadude3

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

Answer the hard drive question please :D

But honestly, have they listed it wrong ?

At harvey norman it's marked as simply Dual core not Core2Duo.

And which is better ?

Nowadays, the vast majority of PentiumDualCores and Core2Duos use the same architecture. The only difference is Core2Duos have more cache, giving them an edge in certain situations and at the same clock speed.

I know they're all core architectures. Even the celerons are core architectures nowadays. They do have less cache - which is the primary differentiation.

Yes for COD6:MW2, yes for Assassin's Creed.

Not for FarCry2, definitely not for GTA4.

You can max out Combat Arms with a Pentium4 single core and a FX5500 from 6 years ago because the graphics in that game is Half Life 1 level...

trikstadude3

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Bluescreen, I want to personally thank you for your help, honestly and truly. You've been very, very helpful.

So it will run Modern Warfare 2, and A.C .

It will run GTAIV, but not very well, and it will run Far Cry on low settings averagely.

Combat Arms I play 98% of the time anyway, so sweet as.

I love Combat Arms soooo much, I'm a 1st Lieutenant, one of the top players from New Zealand. ;)

I don't get the hate on the graphics, maxed out they look really nice.
FAR better than HL1. But irrelevant, none the less.

I think I'm going to get the laptop. I thank you all for the help.

Will it play *most* games with reasonable settings ? If it runs AC, then I guess so.

Thanks heaps guys <3

trikstadude3

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Thanks for that video, the laptop I'm getting has a different processor, but I think it will run pretty similar to that one.

Apparently you can get up to 2.8GB of shared memory for the G220m in the laptop, if the ram isn't being used. Crazy lol .

You should be a mod here, you're crazy awesome to talk to. ;)

To be really annoying, "will it run crysis ?"

:p