Question Calling Techies- Win 64 to New Build Part II...

MarkS02

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Hey Gang,

Many thanks for the suggestions and advice on getting my Win64 Pro from a very old rig to a very different new one. I've got the essentials of what to do down but have run into a new buzz saw.

When making the bootable USB drive with the Media Creation Tool the process gets to 99% or even most of the way through verification and then hangs with "Modern Setup Host Has Stopped Working" error message. Tried it several times and getting the same results. I'm using a brand new 32gb Flash drive with nothing else running on the USB bus and otherwise just letting it do its thing.

Two items:

1. I run Malwarebytes and didn't turn it off. Trying that next.
  2. I'm running Win10 1909 and the Media Creation Tool references the 2004 Update. Is it possible I should update to 2004 prior to running the Media Creation Tool?

Will report back later how the attempt with anti-virus went.

And suggestions would be very much appreciated. Tomorrow is Christmas morning and all the new build parts will be here. Gotta get Windows ready to move! :)

MarkS02

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
To be clear, this is during creation of the bootable USB thing?

Yeah, after much wailing, cursing and gnashing of teeth long into the night I shuffled on over to TechBench by WZT to download a pristine Win10 64 ISO which our buddy Rufus cheerfully converted into a bootable USB in minutes.

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
https://rufus.ie/

Man, I've been out of the game awhile! Turns out the Win MCTool error is really some kind of timeout and/or network driver failure to load issue with Win Firewall buried so deep even the MS guys are stumped according to reports.

Further, I uncovered the answer to another mystery of late. In the last three weeks I've had to run Chkdsk & DISM image restore three times to fix disk errors and corrupted and lost Win files. That's 3x more than I've run them since...ever. I thought my drive was on its last legs.

I don't have a clear understanding but my guess is the accumulation and accretions of stray bits over some seven years of a Win7 install + updates >>> Win10 Upgrade + Updates + unstable 2004 Upgrade (back in March) >>> revert to 1909 + some more 1909 updates all on old MBR partitions controlled by a Gen1 PNP BIOS running a legacy board/chipset/bus simply cannot be untangled or made to run reliably any longer.

And the greatest lesson, once again, is there is always a workaround and with the internet and YouTube solving these mysteries is a matter of moments. I wanted a clean install and will have one and it took all of 15 minutes once I said uncle and googled some more. :)

So the real question is, why do some of us insist on sleuthing them out one excruciating trial and error at a time like its 1989?

Last edited: