Calv... little more help??

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
im still not having much luck with my home network... when i click on a mapped drive, i get prompted for a user and password for some reason, before that, it takes almost 5 min for that window to come up. the whole thing is just so incredibly slow. oh yeah, it hangs at the "applying personal settings" for ~5min every reboot as well...let me explain exactly what i have. 3 computers connected to a lynksys router. the computers are Comp1 (xp pro), Comp2 (2k pro) and homedomain (2k server). the router is the dhcp server, should i find out what the ip is for the router and add that somewhere on the server?

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tdean on 11/10/02 11:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you need to make user accounts on each computer with the same name and password. then you can use that username to access the other computers. since you have a server running anyway why not make it a dc? its not hard, i can help you if you want. that will make administration of all your computers so much easyer. i did it and i have a lot less headaches.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hey jhiggs.... i remembered after that i should have added your name to my title. i forgot to add that the 2k server is the domain controller... the full domain is "homedomain.com". shouldnt i just need only the accts on the server? boy, my nt/98 network was a breeze compared to this. i think my problem lies within the dns and dhcp settings....

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
agreed, make it a dc, it will make life a lot easier, on the server, go to cmd prompt type dcpromo and hit enter, follow the wizard, it will ask you to install dns, do this, at the end it will ask you to reboot,then logon as normal.
Go then to control pan/comp management, active dir/computers and create accounts for the other pc's/users.
Then on the workstations, go to network ID and join the domain - should pick it up straight away, and then have you reboot, on the next reboot, you will see an extra option on the logon screen, "this computer" or your domain, log onto the domain using the username/password you created through active dir/computers on the server.
Once you sortd that bit, post back and I'll (or someone else) will give you more info on profiles etc.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
by default domain admins are added to the local admin group, that means from any computer if you are logged on as a domain admin you can access any computer on the network unrestricted. as long as there is a share that is. you just need to set permissions for every one else you want to have access to folders. dhcp is not needed, iirc you have a dhcp already on the router. you just have to add the ip of the ad server. active directory is all about dns.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
very true, but I've come accross it quite a few times where AD has had probs if dns wasnt installed (all beit not configured manually) maybe just windows being windows

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
ok guys.... well, how do i configure dns properly? the dc already has ad running. i did that a while ago. and how do i give the server an ip address when they are all coming from the router? do i just check the scope in the router config? what i did the other day was check to see what ip the server was already given, then i just made it static.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ok, lets start from the begining, when you upgraded to a domain controler, it should have prompted you to install dns, you should have said yes. did you install dns before?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hey guys.... to answer you jihiggs, yes i did that, but apparently i didnt do it right. i removed ad and all the comps from the domain, reinstalled ad and added them again and it seems pretty good now. i wish i could have done it differently b/c i know that isnt the right way, but it seems to have worked....

TRENDING THREADS