[SOLVED] Camera connectivity issues

Dec 6, 2018
I have a fairly extensive home wi Fi network based round a supplier provided router (Techinicolur MediaAccess TG588v v2). This supplies a connection to the usual mix of laptops, phones, pads, Kindles, printers & etc. I also have two CCTV cameras which I use as weather and wildlife cams. One of these works satisfactorily. The other is remote from the router and has virtualy no connectivity to it. In order to address this, I have a Tp-Link TL-WA801ND access point configured as a repeater located about halfway between the camera and the router. I have provided this with a YAGI array aerial and signal at the camera is pretty good.

The problem is that the camera regularly drops out and becomes either disconnected or very slow. Investigation reveals that it has lost connection with the repeater and logged in to the router. Once this happens, it stays 'locked' to the router and won't re-acquire the repeater even though the latter has a very much stronger signal. The only way to force the camera to re-acquire the repeater is by rebooting it (the camera that is).

I've tried blocking the camera from the router (by MAC address) in the hope that, should the camera lose it's connection with the repeater (for whatever reason) it will be unable to acquire the router and be forced back to the repeater. That doesn't seem to work, the router just seems to ignore the block.

I've been struggling with this for some months and any suggestions would be appreciated...

Rob

Solution
If you're experiencing network drops on the repeater, might want to see if there are any firmware updates pending for the device. Often times the network drops are caught by the community and the dev's behind TP-Link revise their firmware.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're experiencing network drops on the repeater, might want to see if there are any firmware updates pending for the device. Often times the network drops are caught by the community and the dev's behind TP-Link revise their firmware.

Solution