Camera security system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barkfunklerbunk

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
I plan on setting up a 2 PoE security system and NAS server for the surveillance footage. Here is my list of goodies:

2x Amcrest Ultra HD 4K outdoor security IP turret PoE camera
2x Tp link PoE injector
1x tp link 5 port gigabit network switch (unmanaged)
1x synology 2 bay DD218+
1x or 2x 4TB WD Red
1x APC UPS 1500VA

Does this list look good, any suggestions? (besides modem and router, I have those already)

kanewolf

Titan
You can use POE injectors, but it makes your wiring more difficult. That is two more power plugs required. Get a 5 or 8 port POE switch rather than injectors, IMO.
Two cameras is the maximum that the Synology supports without an additional license key. QNAP gives you four cameras included (depends on the model). Make sure your UPS has a USB port that you can connect to the NAS. Then the NAS can monitor the UPS and shutdown automatically before the battery is exhausted.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looking into a (somewhat) similar setup myself. Been going back and forth for some time now.

I've arrived at the conclusion that, unless you specifically need a NAS for any other reason, an off the shelf NVR solution can be a simpler way to go (although less flexible).
  • Most (decent) NVRs have a built in POE switch, and can accept up to a single 8TB drive... some can access multiple and RAID.
Example (in this case, single 6TB max)
  • Depending on the quality you need/want, some of the off the shelf (and even 'no-name' offerings) seem like a great value. Although typically max out at 1440p.
  • Integration with smart home (Google, Amazon etc) can
Currently I have my eye on a couple of different Reolink packages.
https://www.amazon.com/Surveillance...eywords=poe+nvr+reolink&qid=1579809153&sr=8-8
Being one of them.

As far as the list looking "good", yes...on the face of it, it seems totally functional.
There's always changes that can be made - if you go the route proposed, opt for a POE switch, rather than a non-POE + injectors.

I'd just recommend ensuring the setup is expandable (both in terms of storage and number of channels/cameras), that it can integrate however you want (smart home, etc) and that everything in the chain supports the same 802.3af (POE) or 802.3.at (POE+)

kanewolf

Titan
Most (decent) NVRs have a built in POE switch, and can accept up to a single 8TB drive... some can access multiple and RAID.
Just be careful. Some of the NVRs don't support 802.3af/at standard and use a proprietary POE delivery. Mixing with "standard" cameras won't work. Check the fine print. "POE" is an overused term that doesn't always mean 802.3af.

Reactions: Barty1884

Barkfunklerbunk

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
Thanks for the info on the QNAP. I only plan on just 2 cameras, but I like having flexibility in case the need arises. Also, thank you for letting me know about the USB on the UPS, and just getting a PoE switch. I don't know why I didn't think of a PoE switch. Well, thank goodness for this forum! :)

Feb 9, 2021
I think you should use injectors bro. What manufacturer do you want to hire, can you tell me? I am also looking for such service, but haven't made up my mind yet.

USAFRet

Titan
I have such a setup:

QNAP TS-453a NAS
2x Reolink RLC-423 cameras
TP-Link 5 port POE switch

Cameras plugged directly into the switch.
The cameras talk natively to the Surveillance Station app included with the QNAP.
Seamless.

I have the cameras saving in 15 minute blocks, recording 24/7. Save for 20 days, deleting the oldest. That, of course, is adjustable depending on your needs and available drive space.
24 hours from one camera is ~43GB.

Eventually I may add 2 more cameras. One at each corner of the house for full 360 degree coverage.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am going to be "that guy" to offer unsolicited advice....

I have been a security and camera install professional for years, in a previous life. I haven't been in the field in a few years and a LOT of things have changed recently. It used to be that if you wanted a good camera solution that you had to spend a great deal of money to get anything decent...and this still holds true, but that demarcation of "decent" sure has come a LONG way.
So, what this means is what used to be high end a few years ago, is now available cheaply and relatively dependable in some of the aforementioned prebuilt off the shelf solutions.

Personally have been using Arlo here at home. They have their limitations of course, but are super easy to work with and don't need wires. A wired install for me would be both difficult and unsightly. At the shop we have been using Nest, and by FAR of the modern plug and play systems I have experience with I like it the best. The image is good enough to see who is messing around within about 50-ish feet and viewable for activity FAR farther than that. Super easy web interface that is accessible from and works well from anything. I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.