Cameras (was Re: GDLA)

>> Depends how cooperative the subject is - one of my throwaway shots
was
>> a fuzzy first picture of a frilled dragon, but I took three more
>> pictures of the same animal I can keep. On my current film I took
half
>> a dozen or more pictures of an eastern brown snake that let me
watch
>> it for over ten minutes before wandering off, and at some points
along
>> the local river you only need to wait for a minute or so between
>> turtles should you need to. Professional wildlife photographers
often
>> expose entire films on individual animals to get the best possible
>> shot.
>
>Quality through volume. OK. ;)

You still need to be a good photographer to avoid getting a huge
number of dreadful shots...

>Personally, I try to avoid multi-shooting unless I see something
>interesting.

Well, that's rather the point. Animals tend to move and do things. If
you've taken a good shot of the animal, and then it moves to an even
better position, does something interesting or whatever then you'll
want to take another ... and another ... especially if you're being
sent on a photoshoot at someone else's expense and are expected to get
results.

Philip Bowles

On 22 Mar 2005 16:14:27 -0800, pbowles@aol.com (Philip Bowles) wrote:

>>Personally, I try to avoid multi-shooting unless I see something
>>interesting.
>
>Well, that's rather the point. Animals tend to move and do things. If
>you've taken a good shot of the animal, and then it moves to an even
>better position, does something interesting or whatever then you'll
>want to take another ... and another ... especially if you're being
>sent on a photoshoot at someone else's expense and are expected to get
>results.

I did this on a train ride I took a couple years ago, in Spencer, NC,
IIRC. Beautiful scenery, and snapping a photo of the train by leaning
out the window and getting a shot of it heading around a curb was just
too tempting. And I also got a lot of shots of it standing still -
from the front, sides... I took all kinds of shots. Got a lot of good
ones of it. (That would be the same vacation I used 17 rolls of 36
shots in less than a week.)
-Erik