Question Campus WiFi works great but won't download any large file.

Leo Dearden

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
So due to a new job I've moved onto a workers campus where I will be living for the next 3 months.

The campus has provided WIFI and an Ethernet port in each room. The WiFi is great! and im able to stream in full HD with no buffering and play online on my xbox (Apex Legends ) and have great ping and never disconnect but theirs a problem. When I try and download any large file like a new game it wont download it at all. It wont even attempt to start the download but when I went to download amazon prime video on my xbox just after i tried to download Division 2 ( which is a 60 Gb or so) it worked fine but the 400mb app downloaded fine in seconds but when i try and download the game it wont even start or when it does its at 12kbs or so.

Ive tried both on Ethernet and on the WiFi so far and both come out the same result, im able to download small files but not large ones. I even tried on my laptop and its the same problem. Ive done a internet speed test and its very usual, the download speed is 2mb when the upload is much higher at 10mb. In cases for example at home this is usually the other way round.

There's a chance this is a limitation set by your campus' IT staff, you can ask them about that.

OTOH - in the days of dial-up there were plenty of download managers which could download a file in pieces, resume broken downloads etc. Some of them may still be available.

Leo Dearden

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
There's a chance this is a limitation set by your campus' IT staff, you can ask them about that.

OTOH - in the days of dial-up there were plenty of download managers which could download a file in pieces, resume broken downloads etc. Some of them may still be available.

At work i spoke to a few colleges and they found that they are able to download games on steam and people with PlayStation had no problem.