[SOLVED] Can’t boot with new CPU

Oct 7, 2019
ASUS G11CD
H110-I mobo
16GB DDR4 RAM
i5-6400 CPU
GeForce GTX 960 GPU

About a month and a half ago I decided to upgrade my CPU from an i5-6400 to an i7-7700. Upon getting the CPU, my PC would not boot. I have tried absolutely everything I can possibly do to try and solve the issue. I’ve:

-Checked compatibility
  • Reseated RAM
  • Replaced CMOS battery
  • BIOS update
  • Unplugged and replugged in PC
  • Checked receptor pins

After all these efforts, my only option at this point is to test whether I got a defective processor or my system is the issue. I cannot find anyone that I know who has both a PC, and one that supports this i7-7700. I appreciate any and all responses, I really do not want this to be $350 down the drain.

Solution
If there is a PC store near you, could ask them to test the cpu. 7th gen is still relatively new so chances of them having test systems based on this gen is most likely.

You've tried just about everything. I suppose you could try flash bios again with v3016 where microcode for 7700 was first released for this board. Afterwards, boot to bios (With the i5 still in) and load bios defaults. Swap processors over and clear cmos.

Think this is your board.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If there is a PC store near you, could ask them to test the cpu. 7th gen is still relatively new so chances of them having test systems based on this gen is most likely.

You've tried just about everything. I suppose you could try flash bios again with v3016 where microcode for 7700 was first released for this board. Afterwards, boot to bios (With the i5 still in) and load bios defaults. Swap processors over and clear cmos.

Think this is your board.

Solution
Unless you are using this system for video rendering or are planning on upgrading the video card also, you won't see any benefit with the i7 vs the i5 you have. If you got a used CPU, yes the CPU may be bad, really all you can do is try to find a known working system to test the CPU in. For gaming use you are better off upgrading the video card.

TRENDING THREADS