Question Can’t install 7900 xt in slot 1, but….

jrob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
I can do it in slot 2. Slot 1 is x16 , slot 2 is a x8. i do have 4 pci-e ssd’s installed in a msi 570s Meg ace max. In slot 1, I get an error code 94, leading to constant reboots. I had a 6900xt installed in slot one, same set up, no problems.

i thought it might be a seating problem, so I removed the ssd heat syncs under the card, but that didn’t change anything. I don’t really know how much performance I’m missing at x8.

thanks for any ideas….

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I don’t really know how much performance I’m missing at x8.

Theoretically, half (50%). In practice, ~25% if even that much.

To test it, take any 7900 XT review, look what average FPS they got within specific game, run the game by yourself with same graphical settings and look how much FPS you get.
Or for better/faster results, run GPU bench (Unigine Superposition, 3DMark, PassMark) and compare your results with results online.

jrob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
After reinstalling windows 11, updating the chipset drivers directly from amd (there was a new set released right before the cards), setting the slot to gen 3 in the bios, and the slot to x8, x4, x4, I can now say that I have successfully gotten into windows in slot 1. Now, the larger question of why a motherboard that touts itself with ability to run six m2 Ssd, can even boot to bios with the pci-1 slot set to auto or gen 4, still needs to be answered.