Can´t update to anniversary update

Camelh

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
So, i´ve been stuck with the "windows couldn´t complete the update reverting changes(or whatever it says) since the anniversary update rolled out, and i´ve been trying ang trying to fix it, trying every possible solution on the internet, but allas, no luck.
And that´s why i´m in an act of desperation turning to you guys.

(I don´t know what information you need about my pc to help me solve this, but leave a comment about that and i´d be MORE than happy to answer it)
Best regards,

Solution
use media creation tool to make a USB or DVD, you might be best doing a fresh install instead as that works much better than trying to upgrade it.

backup everything on C drive and then follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Jesse_20

Distinguished
If you have any usb dongles plugged in (for wireless mice, keyboards, phones, etc), remove them and re-try.
Windows 10 has a horrible time correctly identifying these devices and gets stuck trying to install drivers for them.

The creators update is available, but it is slowly rolling out to systems as those systems are deemed "safe" to upgrade in microsoft's eyes. They have been having trouble with updating systems that have a (realtek?) network controller. If you try to upgrade and your system is not compatible, you will end up with no internet afterwards. If this happens, you would need to roll back the update and wait until they come out with a fix.

Colif

Win 11 Master

or click 1st button on this page and download upgrade assistant, run it and it will update win 10 to latest version as well.

@ Jessie i haven't encountered the upgrade problems you mention with regard to realtek LAN drivers but there sure is fun with the USB WLAN cards now.

Jesse_20

Distinguished

Sorry, Broadcom devices (Bluetooth stuff mostly). I was recalling from memory, but here's the link to what I was referring to:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-manually-install-creators-update,34241.html

Camelh

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

When doing that i get an error saying that it could´nt be completed, i have tried this multiple times now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
use media creation tool to make a USB or DVD, you might be best doing a fresh install instead as that works much better than trying to upgrade it.

backup everything on C drive and then follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Solution

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Have you tried running sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f from an admin command prompt? You might have some issues with the file system that are preventing the update?

Alternately, you could try to update all your devices to current drivers now, then try to apply the update again. Remember to unplug any usb wireless/Bluetooth dongles from your computer before you try. You can add them back after if the update applies.

Jesse_20

Distinguished

Don't I know it. I work at a repair shop and we get a steady string of "connected, no internet" issues, almost always right after a windows update. The part I hate is no 2 fixes are the same. Sometimes re-installing the driver fixes it (rarely), sometimes rebuilding the netsh and winsock fixes it (if lucky), sometimes a restore point works (until it updates gaain). Hell, I even fixed one by sfc and chkdsk...Blew my mind. Usually we resort to a reinstall if those fixes fail.

Camelh

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

I LOVE YOU DUDE, after more than half a year this shit is finally solved.