[SOLVED] Canť install Windos 10 on new motherboard

Apr 4, 2020
I just bought asus prime z390-a and corsair force series mp510 nvme. I have windows 10 usb - in the bios i first couldnt see the nvme as a bootable device, but after some tweaks i can.

When i insert the usb and select is as a bootable device, it shows me an error saying that it couldnt reach the device. It also doesnt show the usual blue windows 10 installation, only black background allowing me to choose between 64 and 32 bit installer. After a moment it fails.

When i try to boot back from my old hdd, it freezes during loading.

Please help me, i am completely stressed out.

Solution
With win 10 it pays to make an new installer each time as every 6 months a new version is released, and using newest means less patches to install afterwards.

If you have another USB drive, I would try it. Sometimes WIn 10 installer can't recognise the USB its on and won't install of it, as it lacks the right drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You shouldn't need to change any settings to install win 10 on a new board.

Did you update bios to latest version? What are rest of specs of the PC?

nvme shouldn't be a bootable device at beginning as there is nothing on it?

can you show a picture of the error you are getting as that is not normal. Upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.

Apr 4, 2020
Hi. How do I update bios when I have a completely new system and no operating system? The motherboard did come with a CD, but do I just insert it?

By the NVME being a bootable device, it was showing under M.2 NVME in BIOS but not as an option of bootable device. The installation also couldn'ťproceed in that case.

The specs are:
i7-9700K, GTX 1060, Z390-A, 32 GB DDR4 RAM and Corsair force series mp510 NVME.

The error I'm getting is 0xc0000185 saying that a required device isn't connected or can't be accesed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
All Asus boards let you update without windows
motherboard manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z390-A/E15017_PRIME_Z390-A_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
have a look at page 3-27 to 3-30, it shows how to update over internet or via USB.

thats a boot config data error, could try another USB slot maybe?
when did you make USB? since there is no boot info on the PC yet, it has to be the USB.

You could try making a new one and see if you get same error
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Apr 4, 2020
Thank you for the replies, you are my only help. I'm currently installing bios update thanks to you. I bought the flash disk about 2 years ago. Im gonna try and create a new bootable flash disk.

Colif

Win 11 Master
With win 10 it pays to make an new installer each time as every 6 months a new version is released, and using newest means less patches to install afterwards.

If you have another USB drive, I would try it. Sometimes WIn 10 installer can't recognise the USB its on and won't install of it, as it lacks the right drivers.

Solution
Apr 4, 2020
Ok so I updated the bios and then defaulted the settings in bios, plugged the flash disk in and selected it as a boot device (nvme m.2 was showing up in the information, but it wasn't showing up as a bootable device again) and I got the same error. I will try another bootable flash disk which I'm creating right now.

Apr 4, 2020
You are being very helpful and I appreciate your help and effort. Thank you so much for trying to help me! I'm gonna try the new flash disk with new installer, I hope that it will work, because otherwise I've no clue.

I guess I will try and call a technician next to come and help me with it IRL... this isn't how i expected my upgrade to go :(

Apr 4, 2020
It worked, I managed to install Windows from that new flash drive. Thank you so much, you have no idea how much you've helped me. I spent almost 8 hours assembling the computer and then trying to install windows, navigate bios, troubleshoot online. I was completely exhausted and stressed out. If there's anything I can help you with, please let me know! Can I even like PayPal you something little? You literally saved my sanity. Either way, I really wish you all the best in life.