[SOLVED] Can’t access Windows from Welcome Screen

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Hi.

From my previous thread, where the Welcome screen takes 2:30 minutes to load, I’ve gone and done something stupid to the point where I can no longer log into Windows. I was trying to fix the previous issue and just made things worse. I tried Microsoft’s AutoRuns tool to try and find out what keeps causing it so long to load. I took a gamble and unchecked all the boxes under winlogin. Don’t ask why. Now whenever I reboot, the welcome screen GUI is completely missing and no longer logs me in automatically. I just see the background and the Internet, Ease of Access, and Power icons in the bottom right corner. Clicking anywhere on the screen would normally come up with your username and a Sign In button. I don’t see any of that and can’t click on anything. :(

I’ve tried accessing the troubleshooting tools via my Windows 10 USB, but it doesn’t repair the startup, it won’t let me access and use System Restore, and I’ve tried a few options in the Command Prompt, but to no avail. I’ve also tried resetting the BIOS. Nada.

Apart from reformatting, which I’ll only do as a last resort, is there anything I can do to fix it? Any Command Prompts I can use to restore the welcome screen GUI? I’m desperate. :(

Solution
Reactions: VermilionNeko
Solution

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Try booting into safe mode.

I was literally just reading that article lol. But yeah, I’ve been trying to access Safe Mode and it just won’t let me. F8 doesn’t work for me; I’ve tried holding Shift and clicking on Restart on the welcome screen; the Windows Recovery Environment doesn’t even list it as an option… :(

EDIT: Ohh. I was pressing the left Shift key. Tried the right Shift key and it worked. :D Entering Safe Mode now…