Question can’t boot off m.2 on rig stride z390-e mother

Dec 5, 2020
hello having an issue trying to boot off my m.2 i have tried turning csm off, if turned all the settings while it was on to uefi to try and fix it but to no dice. the board is however recognizing that it is there it is just not showing up in my windows install. i have used this same flash drive to install a nvme to another pc that i have built and it worked fine. any ideas?

Don't quite understand, what you're doing there.

Are you trying to boot from M.2 drive? Does it have windows installed?

Are you trying to install windows on M.2 drive? What windows version?
Note - windows 7 doesn't support nvme initially.

Please list full technical specs of your system.

Dec 5, 2020
Don't quite understand, what you're doing there.

Are you trying to boot from M.2 drive? Does it have windows installed?

Are you trying to install windows on M.2 drive? What windows version?
Note - windows 7 doesn't support nvme initially.

i’m trying to boot off the m.2 it does not have windows installed. when i try to install windows onto it it’s not picking the 970 evo ssd up to install windows onto it. i have i9-9900k, rog strix z390-e gaming, g skillz 3600,rog strix 2080 super

Dec 5, 2020
You can't boot from drive, that has no OS installed. If there is no OS on your M.2 drive, then it is not bootable.

What windows version are you trying to install?

Update BIOS to latest version first.
bios is updated to latest version. and it is the latest version of windows 10 . i’m trying to install it onto my m.2 it is not being recognized by the windows 10 launcher

Dec 5, 2020
What model M.2 drive?

Note - if your M.2 drive is sata drive, then only one M.2 slot on your board supports it. The other slot doesn't.
it is a samsung ssd 970 evo plus 500gb. i have put it in both slots on the mother board trying to get it to read but still no luck.

Dec 5, 2020
In bios settings - sata controller mode must be set to ahci (not Intel RST with optane).
it is set to ahci. iv tried pretty much everything i have seen everyone have problems with. csm is disabled , iv also tried to clear secure boot keys. it shows up in my nvme configuration but it doesn’t let me alter anything. and os type is switched to other os.

Last edited: