[SOLVED] Can’t boot Win10 from cloned nvme pcie m.2 drive

Mar 28, 2020
I started with my old Win10 PC and cloned the (MBR) C drive to a new nvme pcie m.2 drive. I first changed the m.2 drive to MBR, cloned to it, and then changed it to GPT, using easeus cloning and partition software.

I built a new pc, and mounted the m.2 drive, ensured the new PC was set to boot in uefi and not legacy bios mode. No dice. I got a message suggesting there was no boot drive.

I was able to run diskpart on the new pc and found the m.2 drive, and a system reserved partition. There was a “boot“ folder on on that partition, but not an “efi“ folder. I tried running these commands:

bootrec /fixboot, and

bcdboot c:\windows /l en-us /s G: /f ALL (Where g: was the system reserved partition)

which seemed to execute, but the new system will still not boot off the nvme pcie m.2 SSD

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Roger

Solution
I started with my old Win10 PC and cloned the (MBR) C drive to a new nvme pcie m.2 drive. I first changed the m.2 drive to MBR, cloned to it, and then changed it to GPT, using easeus cloning and partition software.
By converting from MBR to GPT with easeus software you have made the drive unbootable.

If you're trying to move windows from one computer to another by cloning, then don't.
If motherboards on both computers are different (different chipset), then such OS moving creates all kinds of problems. Just perform clean install.
By converting from MBR to GPT with easeus software you have made the drive unbootable.

If you're trying to move windows from one computer to another by cloning, then don't.
If motherboards on both computers are different (different chipset), then such OS moving creates all kinds of problems. Just perform clean install.

Solution