Question Can’t boot windows with multiple connected drives

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fl1cks

BANNED
Jun 19, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread.
* The whole title and text has been changed and updated now so it might differ from some conversations or replies. What’s written here is the current issue that I’m experiencing.

Gonna make this short and quick so that it’s easy and quick to read. I’ve sorted everything by date. I am very pleased with any help given. Thank you so much!

Yesterday:

I installed Windows on Drive 2, with Drive 1 connected to the computer. Seemed like everything worked but I don’t remember restarting the PC, etc.

I’m stuck at the motherboard screen after connecting Drive 3 & 4.

Today:

I’m currently stuck at the motherboard screen and have all drives connected to it.

I removed Drive 3, still stuck at the motherboard screen.

I removed Drive 4, still stuck at the motherboard screen.

At this point I have Drive 1 and 2 connected to the motherboard and I’m still stuck at the motherboard screen.

Today:

I Installed Windows on Drive 1 without any other drives connected to the computer, restarted the computer, etc. Everything seems to work great.

I’m stuck at the motherboard screen after connecting Drive 2, 3, & 4.

Now:

I am really interested in knowing what this could be all about and have been researching this whole day without success. How do I solve this and get my new build finished?

Specs:

CPU - I7-11700K

GPU - Asus RTX 3060 ROG STRIX OC

RAM - G.SKILL 4X32GB Balistix (128GB)

PSU - Corsair RM850X 850W

MB - Gigabyte Z590 UD AC

Drive 1 - WD SN850 500GB (M.2)

Drive 2 - Crucial P5 250GB (M.2)

Drive 3 - Crucial P5 500GB (M.2)

Drive 4 - Samsung QVO 1TB (SSD)

Thanks again in advance. I do really appreciate any kind of help that can be given!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1234John1234

Fl1cks

BANNED
Jun 19, 2021
I saw Secure boot on Auto. Try disabling it.
You may try to enable CSM.

What are other options under Windows 10 features?
Try setting it to other than Windows 10.

Secure boot is set to disabled. What is set to Auto is Preferred Operating Mode. I’ve enabled CSM Support now. I get “Other OS”, “Windows 10”, and “Windows 10 WHQL” in the Windows 10 Features section. I tried Windows 10 WHQL and Other OS together with CSM Support set to enabled, with all drives in the boot priority and also with only Drive 1 as boot option but I still get stuck at the motherboard screen when booting.

Fl1cks

BANNED
Jun 19, 2021
I’ve downloaded the latest BIOS version for the Z590 UD AC motherboard from Gigabyte now and installed it through Q Flash. I went from version F2 to F4, a version that’s about 5 months newer. I still get stuck at the motherboard screen when booting.

Update BIOS of your board to latest version.

Last edited: