Can’t find Realtek Audio Drivers or Controllers

Please help234

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
Hi,

I recently swapped out my old motherboard for a new ASUS Z-270-P, everything worked as it did before but now I have no audio. I looked on device manager under the ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ and only had one result of ‘AMD high definition audio device’. When I click on sound in the bottom right of the home screen (windows 10) it try’s to troubleshoot but ultimately tells me that I need to plug a device in. I have tried installing Realtek audio drivers online but nothing has worked. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks a lot in advance.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It sounds like you have a AMD graphics card and driver installed. Quite often, if you let it install the included sound driver, Win will default to that driver. If that is the case, go to control panel/sound and reset the speakers/headphones as default. That will use the Realtek drivers instead. That is the one connected to your board's audio output jacks.

Please help234

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

Thanks for the reply.
When I go to sound it shows up with is 6 digital display audio device which all say not plugged in. The headphones I have plugged in are not on there and there is nothing to set as default.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Your 2nd screenshot appears to be corrupt. It won't show up. As a result, I can't see if there is anything below (scroll down). But if you don't see something like this, then the Realtek devise is either not present or defective.

Did you do a clean install of Win10 after you swapped boards?

Please help234

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

The second screen shot is just of the last AMD audio and is the same as the last 5.

I don’t have anything like the screenshot and I didn’t do a fresh install of windows.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Hmmm... they both use the same Realtek® ALC887 codec, so that theory is out. I suspect the fact that you used the old Gigabyte O.S. installation to access the new Asus board w/o doing a clean install might have something to do with it tho.
Unless the audio chip in the new board is defective. Has it ever worked?

Might do a disk image backup of what you have now, and then do a clean install of W10 with the new board. See if the sound chip is recognized and Win installs a generic driver. If no luck, you know the board is at fault. You always have your old disk image to go back.

Please help234

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

I just did a clean install of windows, but still no luck. I’m guessing it’s a problem with the board then...

Please help234

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

I swapped the boards back over and audio is working perfectly again, so it must the board.
Thanks a lot for all the help. Luckily I think I’m still in the returns time so should be able to get my money back.