[SOLVED] Can’t get in Windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TonyH88

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
After opening an apparent corrupt .avi file (not downloaded, I got it from a company that digitalized an old Hi8 tape), my laptop started to get stuck and I had to turn it off. Now when I turn it on it goes as usual till here, but when I press any button it stays stuck in this blurry stage for a min or so before going back again.

I went to troubleshoot by pressing ALT+F10. System restore won’t work, it gives me an error and tells me to try it again. There is unfortunately only one restoration point to try from.

I can’t seem to find a way to get into safe mode. Went into BIOS, but it’s not there. Also not from the advanced startup settings. But I might have missed something here. I tried all short keys that I used to use on my old PC back in the day, but it always goes to the login screen. Also the SHIFT restarting doesn’t work.

What should I try?

Laptop:
Acer A715-71G-74QK

Solution
Is there anything you can suggest me to do?
Put ssd in a desktop pc as secondary drive and diagnose with ssd manufacturer tools.

I unfortunately can’t copy anything from my SSD, because it says the media is write-protected.
Write protection means - you can not write to it. You should still be able to read just fine.

BTW - when SSD exhausts all available write cycles, it gets locked. This is done intentionally to prevent data loss and allow you to recover data.
If that is, what has happened to your SSD, then you can't use the drive anymore (other than recover data from it). You'll need a new SSD.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
one thing you can try is to boot to a live disk from a thumb drive. this will boot you into a fully working OS that sits only in ram. you can poke around a bit more in that drive from there. sometimes stepping outside windows environment can allow commands to run that can't be run from windows. you can try fdisk from there and see what happens.

unbuntu live disk is easy to use and will let you run other utilities on the drive if you wish.

TonyH88

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
one thing you can try is to boot to a live disk from a thumb drive. this will boot you into a fully working OS that sits only in ram. you can poke around a bit more in that drive from there. sometimes stepping outside windows environment can allow commands to run that can't be run from windows. you can try fdisk from there and see what happens.

unbuntu live disk is easy to use and will let you run other utilities on the drive if you wish.

I will try that then! Thanks. I understand that the write protection points towards it being a faulty drive, but I would want to try as much as possible before giving up on my data.

Is there anything you can suggest me to do?
Put ssd in a desktop pc as secondary drive and diagnose with ssd manufacturer tools.

I unfortunately can’t copy anything from my SSD, because it says the media is write-protected.
Write protection means - you can not write to it. You should still be able to read just fine.

BTW - when SSD exhausts all available write cycles, it gets locked. This is done intentionally to prevent data loss and allow you to recover data.
If that is, what has happened to your SSD, then you can't use the drive anymore (other than recover data from it). You'll need a new SSD.

Solution

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
if that last advice fails, you can try making a new installation of windows on the HDD. make a separate partition to avoid any problems if something goes wrong. get in the new windows you installed and try to access the SSD from there

TonyH88

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

I went with the Ubuntu first, because I don't have a desktop pc at my place and will only have access to one this weekend. I can view and copy files from my SSD, but I can't delete anything. So I managed to transfer all important documents to my HDD and will now attempt to do a clean install of Windows on my SSD. If it fails I'll wait till coming weekend to follow your advice first, before buying an SSD.

So I managed to transfer all important documents to my HDD and will now attempt to do a clean install of Windows on my SSD. If it fails I'll wait till coming weekend to follow your advice first, before buying an SSD.
If SSD is in locked state (read only), then you can not install anything onto it.
Install windows on HDD instead.
Just don't destroy your data on hdd by accident. One wrong mouse click and your data is gone.

TonyH88

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
I
If SSD is in locked state (read only), then you can not install anything onto it.
Just don't destroy your data on hdd by accident. One wrong mouse click and your data is gone.

My HDD is almost full, so I went to delete some large files, but somehow I can’t delete there anymore as well. So I copied the most important documents to an external HDD and am installing Windows 10 boot on my USB again.

TonyH88

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

I can’t seem to install Windows on my HDD. First I got the error, “We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.” I went to diskpart, cleaned, created a partition, made it active, formatted, and assigned.
After that I got the error, “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an mbr partition table.” Went to diskpart again and converted the disk to gpt.
This time I could continue with the installation, but then got the error, “Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation. Error code: 0xC0000005.”

Do you have an idea of how I should continue? Because I am a bit stuck now.

Tony everyone forgot to mention 1 thing . When you make a media creation tool , part way through the process you will need to choose an option to install it on another pc , cant remember the exact wording as it is a long time since i did mine.

TonyH88

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Tony everyone forgot to mention 1 thing . When you make a media creation tool , part way through the process you will need to choose an option to install it on another pc , cant remember the exact wording as it is a long time since i did mine.

I found that one out by using Google, so it worked fine in the end. But thanks a bunch for mentioning it!

TonyH88

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Why are you running disk check? On SSD, that is in locked state?

Disconnect SSD.
Install windows on HDD.

I already did that yesterday. After installing Windows on HDD I reconnected the SSD and booted from the HDD. I went to look for software that could diagnose issues and found AOMEI to be recommended, but I see now it can’t do anything because the drive is locked. I completely forgot to instal the manufactures tools like you recommended, will do that now.

TonyH88

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Why are you running disk check? On SSD, that is in locked state?

Disconnect SSD.
Install windows on HDD.

Drive summary: 1

The SMART details: 1 and 2

Full diagnostic scan: 1

Is there anything left to do? Or is this conclusive that the SSD is gone bad? Not sure if it matters, but the scan I did yesterday ended with half a million bad sectors.

TonyH88

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Yes. Absolutely.

Did you notice warning in red from SMART diagnostics?

If your laptop is still under warranty, then you can get drive replacement for free. If not, then you'll have to pay for it.

I highly doubt it, because it’s over three years old.
Thanks a bunch! I’ll look for a new one online and will order it.