[SOLVED] Can’t install OS on new build. Faulty CPU?

Sep 6, 2020
I put together my first ever new build PC yesterday! I excitedly switched it on to run into problems installing an OS - and I think the CPU might be the culprit.

When I try to load a bootable Windows 10 USB I bought from eBay, it’ll let me select 64-bit install/32-bit install/memory diagnostic tool, but will then:
  • Freeze on ”Loading files”
  • Loads files then freezes on Windows logo (without animated dots, with animated dots, with frozen dots)
  • Loads files then freezes on motherboard logo
  • Restart loop
So I loaded a bootable Ubuntu USB I made using my old Mac, and although it gives me options to load Ubuntu/Install OEM etc, it will then do one of the following:
  • Freeze on a purple screen
  • Restart loop
  • Come up with the below error on screen (Google doesn’t reveal much about these error codes)
52-BDAED8-5548-430-A-82-DC-7-A504-A49-C65-D.jpg

System specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler (bought used - like new from Amazon Warehouse, the paste was removed so I used aftermarket paste)
  • ASUS Prime B450-Plus with 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz RAM and Corsair VS450 PSU
  • GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (bought used from reputable seller on eBay)
  • Kingston A2000 500GB M2 Nvme PCIE SSD
I’ve tried:
  • USB: Different USBs, different USB slots, booting without mouse/keyboard, leaving it on frozen screen for an hour, safe mode
  • SSD: Removing entirely
  • GPU: Different HDMI output, different PCIe slot (no integrated graphics so can’t remove GPU)
  • RAM: Removed either sticks, tried a different slot, run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
  • Motherboard: Updated the BIOS, removed CMOS battery, tinkered with all kinds of advanced settings based on hours and hours of googling
  • CPU: Checking temperatures (BIOS says it hovers around 40-50 degrees)
  • PSU: Checked all cables are firmly pressed in
I’m running out of ideas. In order of likelihood, it feels like a CPU, motherboard or GPU problem - is that a fair assumption? The screenshot plus the fact it arrived from Amazon with the thermal paste cleaned off points to a duff CPU, but I don’t think they’ll replace it without discounting the motherboard or GPU being the problem.

I’m going to try reinstalling the CPU in case a pin is bent or something. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try a computer repair shop, but grateful for a second opinion!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When I try to load a bootable Windows 10 USB I bought from eBay
Recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?