[SOLVED] Can’t install OS on new build

May 20, 2020
Hi, This is the first time I’ve ever posted to a forum. I’ve built several computers over the years but it has been awhile since my last one. I recently built a new system:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XI WiFi
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 5ghz
Memory: 64GB (4 total sticks)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2x16) DDR4 3200mHz
Video: ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super
3 SSD Drives: Two - WD_Black SN750 2TB NVMe with Heat Sink, Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280 and One - Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB SATA Internal
Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO Liquid CPU Cooler 280mm Dual ML140 Pro
Sound: Sound Blaster Z PCIe
Optical Drive: Pioneer 16x BDR-209DBK Internal SATA Blu-ray burner
Power: Corsair AXi Series AX1600i
Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2

I went off the parts recommendation from PCGamer website. The installation went fairly well and the system boots to BIOS with no errors and sees all the hardware correctly. I can USB boot to a text based utility suite. When I try to boot using a new Windows Pro installation it freezes at the initial Windows Logo. I’ve also tried booting to a Linux Mint Live and it also freezes. I’ve removed everything except 16gb memory, CPU, cooler, MB and still the same results. I’ve tried the Windows installation USB and Linux Live on my old system and they work fine. I’ve also tried the Windows 10 Pro installation from a DVD and it still freezes at the logo. Anyone have any ideas as to the cause and solution?

Thanks!

Solution
Thank you so much everyone. I had tried each of the suggestions and they didn’t make any difference. I flashed the bios (which was 2 years out of date). That solved everything and I have booted to a live drive AND installed Windows 10 Pro with all hardware installed. So... problem solved. I hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try one 16GB stick in the last slot from cpu (single stick operation) and remove M2 ssd's and try the sata drive to test. See what happens. If it's good with this configuration then we'll try eliminate the problem and get your original setup running.

May 20, 2020
Thank you so much everyone. I had tried each of the suggestions and they didn’t make any difference. I flashed the bios (which was 2 years out of date). That solved everything and I have booted to a live drive AND installed Windows 10 Pro with all hardware installed. So... problem solved. I hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Glad it worked out. Yeah the next step would have been a Bios update as there might've been compatibility issues, ie dual rank ram.

Also, Windows 10 has a habit if putting the boot loader file elsewhere other than the primary drive if there were multiple connected during the time of install. Was suggested to only have the primary drive connected once got to this stage of success. Reason being is if one of the other secondary drive was removed for whatever reason and it had the boot loader on it, you'll run into Windows not booting.

TRENDING THREADS