Can’t install Windows 10 on new SSD and old HDD(where it was originally installed)

Oct 6, 2018
Help!
I just bought a new SSD and was trying to install windows on it. It gets recognized in my BIOS and windows setup but it says that that windows can’t be installed onto this disk. I also tried to reinstall windows on my old HDD(where it was originally installed) but then it says that it can’t create any new partitions or find any. My motherboard seems to not support UEFI mode and all other solutions I found online didn’t help. I’m installing windows from an usb 3.0 stick.
My specs are:
- CPU: FX-8350 (hyper 212 evo as cooler)
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-lmt-usb3
- RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600mhz
- Graphics card:Gygabyte GTX 1050 ti 4gb
- Storage drives: 1. Hgst 1tb 5400 rpm HDD 2. Kingston 120gb SSD

Colif

Win 11 Master
what error do you get on ssd? Had you formatted the drive before hand or was it empty? If it lets you see the drives it should let you install.

On hdd did you delete all the partitions and then choose the unallocated space and click next?

your motherboard has 3 revisions, 4.1, 5 & 6, any idea which you might have?

looks like drives can be IDE or SATA, I assume they set up as AHCI in bios?

looks like BIOS is actually a hybrid EFI - https://techreport.com/news/20941/is-it-efi-or-not-gigabyte-hybrid-efi-bios-explained

Oct 6, 2018

First of all, thanks for the reply.

The error Message for the SSD say “windows cannot be installed to this disk this computer's hardware may not support booting this disk”. I deleted every partition on both drives and tried to select both unallocated spaces and none worked when I pressed next (I even tried to manually create partitions). I sadly don’t have the box of the motherboard anymore but from picture comparison I would say it’s the 5.0 revision. Yes I set them up in AHCI mode.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solutions

1. Remove Hard Disk Protection

For the first situation, please read the specification or contact sales person to confirm whether there is hard disk protection if the computer is not configured by ourselves. If there is, remove the protection by following instructions.

2. Change SATA Controller Mode

For the second situation, if we changed SATA Controller mode in BIOS before, try setting BIOS to factory settings. Different BIOS gives different options to set itself to factory settings, like Restore Defaults, Load BIOS Defaults, and Load Optimal Defaults, so you should choose the correct one according to practical situations.

However, when this solution does not work, you must change hard disk mode manually in BIOS. If the current state is IDE, change it to AHCI. If the current mode is AHCI, change it to IDE, etc. Actually, if Compatibility or Compatible is given, you must choose this mode.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/windows-cannot-be-installed-to-this-disk.html#error-4

Not sure what it means by drive protection, wouldn't think it would apply to a new ssd anyway, And you tried solution 2 already.

see if the green answer here helps, same error and same motherboard - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2946716/windows-install-trouble-windows-installed-disk-gigabyte-78lmt-usb3.html