Question Can’t install windows 10/SSD won’t boot windows 10

Aug 16, 2020
Ok, I’ve tried every thread and forum I could find on installing windows 10 pro on my m.2
(NVME M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus) drive. I’ve tried partitioning the drive, I’ve tried disabling CSM and switching to UFEI but the bios won’t detect either the usb installer and the m.2, I’ve tried switch the drive between GPT and MBR, still get the same problem

“We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files”

specs-
MB: B450M Bazooka Max WiFi
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x 6 core
Ram: 16GB
Storage: NVME M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus
GC: RX 570

Aug 16, 2020
It's worth re-creating the installer anyway. What else have you tried, specifically? Different USB ports? Resetting the CMOS battery?
Ok, when I get back from work I’ll try making a new installer, I have tried switching back and forth between legacy, UEFI and CSM, I haven’t heard of CMOS battery, is that the battery on the board itself? I’ve manually made partitions in the drive, I’ll try to move the usb to a different port also.

Yes, there's a coin cell battery on the board that provides power for CMOS - it keeps the time even when the board is unplugged and stores some BIOS settings. It can be removed by gently pressing a retention clip to one side of it (and re-inserted once the process is complete). Unplug the PC from the wall so that all power drains from the board, allowing a minute or two for this.

You can also enter the BIOS settings and hit the option to restore settings to default.

The installer can handle the partitioning by itself. Optimally on a new system you'll install in UEFI mode with a GPT partition layout, and the system creates a number of small system partitions in addition to the main partition containing Windows, programs, and your data. Once you get that far, delete the existing partitions in the installer and let it automatically create them.

Aug 16, 2020
Yes, there's a coin cell battery on the board that provides power for CMOS - it keeps the time even when the board is unplugged and stores some BIOS settings. It can be removed by gently pressing a retention clip to one side of it (and re-inserted once the process is complete). Unplug the PC from the wall so that all power drains from the board, allowing a minute or two for this.

You can also enter the BIOS settings and hit the option to restore settings to default.

The installer can handle the partitioning by itself. Optimally on a new system you'll install in UEFI mode with a GPT partition layout, and the system creates a number of small system partitions in addition to the main partition containing Windows, programs, and your data. Once you get that far, delete the existing partitions in the installer and let it automatically create them.
If I put the motherboard into UEFI mode, it doesn’t detect either the drive or usb. I’m redownloading the media installer as of now, and I’ve also gone ahead and restored the motherboard to default settings

Aug 16, 2020

Ok after resetting the motherboard to default settings and re-installing the media downloaded, it is successfully installing windows 10 pro, thank you very much for your help!

Aug 16, 2020

Alright it’s installed but even after setting it to boot drive, it isn’t booting the os?

Aug 16, 2020
What is it booting to?
It continues to boot to the usb install tool, also, if I remove the usb it comes to the screen “install a proper boot drive” so and so, “press a key”, I’ve tried this also with my Samsung 870 evo, no luck, even tried installing while in UEFI, no luck, but installing it after resetting the motherboard to default settings works.

Aug 16, 2020
When you say that option isn't visible, can you be more clear about which part? Do you see the boot priority list and not see Windows Boot Manager as an option, or not see the boot selection at all?
When I go to boot settings, I have
-Full Screen logo display
-Boot NumbLock State
-Info Block Effect
-Post Beep
-Auto CLR_CMOS

-Boot mode select

-Fixed Boot Order Priorities
Boot options #1-13; none of the options for boot priorities allow me to set a windows boot
-Hard Disk Drive BBS priorities

I do not have a Windows Boot Manager, but if I go into “Advanced” settings
Then go into “Window OS Config”
I get the option to run it in CSM or UEFI
But if I put the system in UEFI, it doesn’t read any drives.

Aug 16, 2020
What mode is the current installation (EFI or legacy)? If in UEFI mode (the new standard) Windows Boot Manager should be enabled but in legacy mode (mbr) you'll just see the name of the drive
The bios is in UEFI+Legacy and OS is installed in UEFI+Legacy, if I leave it at that, I can see the drive itself, if I set it only in UEFI, I cannot see the drive neither windows boot manager, if it even shows up. I also can’t put the bios in Legacy specifically.

But if I put the bios in UEFI, and go into “Advanced” then “Windows OS config“, and I switch it to UEFI from CSM, I have access to “GOP info”, and “Secure Boot“.

Secure boot has
-Secure Boot (Disabled)
-Secure Boot Mode (Standard)

I cant access the following below unless changing “Secure Boot Mode” to “Custom”

-Enroll all factory default keys
-Delete all secure Boot Variables
-Key Management

Does this mean the drive should be converted to GPT? It’s in MBR.

An OS installed on an MBR partition is in legacy mode. GPT is only supported on UEFI And EFI doesn't support MBR.

At any rate try installing in UEFI. Windows cannot convert an MBR disk to GPT or vice versa without formatting it again. Secure boot is an UEFI specific feature also, which is why it doesn't always appear.

Let's put the BIOS in UEFI and install to GPT and check for the boot manager then if it doesn't boot immediately

Aug 16, 2020
An OS installed on an MBR partition is in legacy mode. GPT is only supported on UEFI And EFI doesn't support MBR.

At any rate try installing in UEFI. Windows cannot convert an MBR disk to GPT or vice versa without formatting it again. Secure boot is an UEFI specific feature also, which is why it doesn't always appear.

Let's put the BIOS in UEFI and install to GPT and check for the boot manager then if it doesn't boot immediately
Ok so I cleaned the drive, converted it to GPT, installed windows on GPT, Everything in Bios is in UEFI, but boot manager hasn’t popped up and when booted up, it booted to the usb installer.

Following that, none of the boot options for priority booting, doesn’t show windows boot or detects the m.2 as a boot option.