Question Can’t launch or install Windows. Trying to make sure it’s my motherboard causing the issue

Fairycakes

Prominent
Jul 18, 2020
Hi all, this has been giving me a headache for a while. Every time I have a pc issue i end up on this board so hopefully you guys will be able to finally solve it! Sorry in advanced for the ramble but it takes some explaining.

So my PC randomly froze up, and when I reset it I was told Windows needs repairing to start, but Startup repair would not work. I eventually tried to reinstall Windows fresh and could not install Windows either, getting generic errors about failing to install, create partitions, etc etc. Nothing I tried worked and at this point I believe it’s a hardware issue that can’t be worked around. So here’s my problem.

I was convinced it was my motherboard (asrock b365m pro4) because

• it’s not the HD (worked fine in another computer, and I also had the same problems with multiple drives)
  • the boot screen takes around 1 minute to appear and another 20 seconds or so I pass
  • I tried flashing the bios and it started working immediately, although only for a few hours before the same problem came back for good.
I sent it back under warranty and they said they’d fixed a bent pin in the cpu socket, managed to install Windows successfully with it, and sent it back. But I have the exact same problem. So I’m trying to make sure it is the MB before spending money unnecessarily.

To try and isolate the problem I’ve tried -

Plugging in just the barebones components.
Trying one stick of ram at a time
Resetting/ updating / replacing battery in bios.
I haven’t tried without the graphics card as my cpu doesn’t have onboard graphics, but I have tried the card in another pc and it works in that.
Also haven’t tried another cpu as I don’t have one to hand.
Haven’t tried a different power supply although I don’t see how that could be the issue

Does anyone know what else I could try? How to prove it is / isn’t the MB? Anyone come across this problem or know what could cause it? Thanks!

Asrock b365m pro4 MB
i3 9100f cpu
Amd 27240 gpu
500gb ssd
OCZ zs psu 650w, fairly old always seemed fine

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

How big is the HDD and how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events.

Varying problems are, to me, a sign of a faltering PSU. Especially if intermittent and seemingly occurring at random.

Fairycakes

Prominent
Jul 18, 2020
Thanks, will have to update this evening. The PSU is just about the only thing I haven’t tested so it could be. Cant look at event viewer for obvious reasons