Question Can’t launch windows 10. BSOD when applications open up. Please help!

xdagex

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
A bunch of BSOD and now PC will keep crashing within minutes after logging in. Please help!

Specs:
ASUS Prime Z390-A
i7-9700K
Corsair H100i
Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB 4x8
RTX 2080 Ti
EVGA G2 750W

I don’t know what happened but in the last couple of weeks I’ve been dealing with BSOD’s more and more frequently. At first it was the typical “WHEA uncorrectable” BSOD but then they turned into “IRQL not less or equal” which I read online was just my voltages being too low, so then I turned up my voltage and it was fine but I still occasionally got it playing certain games so I upped the voltage a little again and eventually, after doing this for like 1 to 2 weeks I’m now unable to use my PC and I’m a little afraid since everything is new except the mobo being manufacturer refurbished and my PSU being 4 years old.

At first I had what I thought was a stable 5.0GHz at 1.34v for like 2 months when I got all my parts in, then kept bumping it up to slowly in this last week or 2 to 1.36v but now I can’t even launch google chrome or even search in my start menu or I get a BSOD. It was working just fine as of yesterday with the voltage up to 1.35v but today it just crapped itself and starting giving me all these BSOD’s.

I tried reverting all my BIOS settings to stock but after doing that it wouldn’t even launch into Windows anymore and just BSOD’d.

Here’s some BSOD’s I keep getting:

IRQL Not less or equal
Driver irql not less or equal
Kernel security check failure
Page fault in nonpages area
Dpc watchdog violation
Exception not handled

I’m relatively new to overclock so I’m afraid I might have screwed up my components really bad. I was thinking maybe it’s my PSU giving out which I hope it is so I can switch it out since it’s been really loud lately but I really hope it’s not something like my MOBO or cpu dying.

xdagex

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Did you try to turn it back up to 1.33V in bios?

Except if your CPU was running at +85C for 2 months, I don't see how 1.36V could kill it.
It wasn’t running 85C+ for 2 months, I just stress tested with AIDA64 for about 10 hours and it seemed to be fine and sort of stable for 2 months but until recently I’ve had to push up the voltage to 1.35 then 1.36 because I kept getting IRQL not equal or less BSOD. It’s been sitting at 1.34v for those 2 months though.

zx128k

Reputable
It wasn’t running 85C+ for 2 months, I just stress tested with AIDA64 for about 10 hours and it seemed to be fine and sort of stable for 2 months but until recently I’ve had to push up the voltage to 1.35 then 1.36 because I kept getting IRQL not equal or less BSOD. It’s been sitting at 1.34v for those 2 months though.

Have you got both CPU and RAM overclocked? Basically your overclock is likely not stable. Your OS install could be corrupt as well. sfc /scannow and Do a full chkdsk with repair.

Some of the BSOD are cpu related and others likely RAM related. Sometimes caused by corruption of the OS.

Reasons Behind Page Fault In Nonpaged Area:

It is tough to identify which program or thing is causing this problem. But, It is quite sure why this issue appears. Before troubleshooting any problem, You should know a bit detailed about it. Because Knowing the actual reasons can make it easy to “fix page fault in nonpaged area.”

In your RAM, There is a place called nonpaged area. You know, Your PC may use a small part of the hard disk as the alternative of RAM when actual RAM is handling too much data. That part of hard drive and RAM always swap page files between them. But, Nonpaged area is still safe from it, and it should be. Because It contains the always required data that should not be moved or modified. Some third-party programs, antivirus like Norton, AVG, Avast which may have access to the nonpaged area. They may corrupt or altered any data of that area. When your system fails to find its required data in the nonpaged area, Windows shows you the error “Page_fault_in_Nonpaged_Area” in blue screen. Again hardware or driver problem may cause this problem. Any faulty RAM stick also can be responsible for this BSOD error. Source

The KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE is one of the BSOD errors and it occurs when there is something creating problems in your Windows operating system. The error occurs when the kernel notices the corruption of serious data configuration in your OS and it can be hard to trace the pathway creating the problem. However, many Windows 10 users reported the problem to have occurred after they upgraded the RAM. If you are experiencing the same problem, you might want to try the various workarounds discussed below.
https://windowsreport.com/kernel-security-check-failure-ram/

Corrupted system files can also result in System_thread_exception_not_handled blue screen error and many other issues like that, such as DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.

Kernel Security Check Failure means a file has failed a compatibility or integrity check and needs to be updated or replaced.

I would guess an issue with the RAM. The IMC is on the CPU these days as well. All looks like data corruption.

Last edited:

xdagex

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
I am unable to test any programs because I can’t even get windows to load. Only my CPU was Overclocked. I turned off everything to default and it wouldn’t even get past the loading screen. I can get a little further into the windows loading screen with my overclocked settings but it will eventually spit out an IRQL BSOD error. I have submitted an RMA request for the board so I’ll see if it is another issue.

zx128k

Reputable
I am unable to test any programs because I can’t even get windows to load. Only my CPU was Overclocked. I turned off everything to default and it wouldn’t even get past the loading screen. I can get a little further into the windows loading screen with my overclocked settings but it will eventually spit out an IRQL BSOD error. I have submitted an RMA request for the board so I’ll see if it is another issue.

I would reset the BIOS to default and if windows won't then load normally. I would do a clean install or if I could a reset.