[SOLVED] Can’t seem to remove the pump unit?

ldotchopz

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Sorry I can’t send any pictures, but I am trying to remove a h150i. I have unscrewed the 4 screws but the unit is still stuck solid and I can’t find anything else holing it down. It’s attached to a zenith extreme alpha motherboard

Thanks!

Solution
It's most likely the thermal paste holding it on, unless the bracket is stuck on a heat-sink or something. Try to wiggle it loose and avoid prying or ripping as it could damage the mobo. It may help to fire the pc up and get heat into the cpu to loosen it up a bit.

I have used dental floss in the past, make a loop around the cooler and tie it in a not so you can tighten it and essentially force it between the heat-sink and the cpu, cutting through the thermal paste.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
It's most likely the thermal paste holding it on, unless the bracket is stuck on a heat-sink or something. Try to wiggle it loose and avoid prying or ripping as it could damage the mobo. It may help to fire the pc up and get heat into the cpu to loosen it up a bit.

I have used dental floss in the past, make a loop around the cooler and tie it in a not so you can tighten it and essentially force it between the heat-sink and the cpu, cutting through the thermal paste.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree with above. Another technique you might try after your have heated the system to soften the thermal paste is this. Of course you will NOT have lifted the CPU lock lever. As an initial step, grasp the pump unit and try to TWIST it gently. Do no twist hard, and do not pull straight up. The CPU will be held securely in its socket, and IF you can twist it, that will break the bond between CPU and pump. THEN you can lift carefully.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can also try dental floss to break the thermal compound seal much like you would if you were flossing very large teeth. Slip the floss around the pump head and try to get it under the copper base plate and wiggle the floss through, holding on to each side.