Question Can’t start up on Windows SSD

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
Backstory: Bought a Optiplex 990, one of the sata ports didn’t work but in the mean time I downloaded windows and installed it and had it working on the SSD just fine, the guy offered to replace it for another 990 so I did (maybe a bad choice considering what’s been going on), and now for some reason it wouldn’t boot from the SSD, it just would have that blinking underscore/cursor.

I’m not really sure what to do other then try to reinstall windows using the USB, I tried to use startup repair from it but it couldn’t repair my PC (the default C drive is an Ubuntu HDD that launches into Linux just fine, but the PC won’t launch into Windows on the SSD )
Im not sure if there’s a command line thing I can do on the USB windows install media for troubleshooting or anything like that or what I can do?

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
BIOS boot settings are different.
On one pc it's set to boot in legacy mode, on the other - in UEFI mode.
Change boot settings in BIOS.
I’m a bit confused. There was no UEFI options before in bios but now there was one (maybe from the USB?) I tried booting from it (called like UEFI: INT13(,0x82)) but it just got stuck on a squished windows 10 logo

any idea?