Question Can’t use PS4 controller on Windows 11 ?

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Hi

I’m really stuck with this. I recently bought a new gaming laptop over Christmas and very recently started setting it up. However, one thing I can’t get working is my PS4 controller. I’ve yet to try my Xbox 360 wired controller, so once I have, I’ll report back about that.
The PS4 controller though, I was able to use it the other day (Sunday?). The light never lit up blue, but the game I was playing recognised it. Tonight, however, nothing. Not only does Steam not recognise it, but it seems like Windows doesn’t either much. If I connect it via USB, it’ll flash orange briefly and then nothing more. Steam’s Big Picture mode doesn’t detect any controllers, even toggling the different options. I’ve tried disabling the HID compliant game controller in the Device Manager, I’ve tried updating it (it finds nothing), and uninstalling it. The HID device disappears when the controller is unplugged and then returns when it’s plugged back in.
I’ve also tried both Input Mapper and DS4Windows. The latter won’t recognise it at all. Even after installing all the utilities it needs. And I’ve tried the 360 controller drivers. Input Mapper does recognise it, and the lights have been customised to show different colours, but again - neither Steam or the game I’m trying to play, recognise it. :-/
And finally, I’ve tried connecting it via Bluetooth. Windows detects and connects to it, but neither Steam, DS4, or the game recognise it still. And it won’t even let me disconnect from the Bluetooth if I try. It just fails. o_O

I’m totally stumped what to do. Even Windows Update isn’t showing any new or optional updates for it.

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, I've tried loads of things. I've even tried resetting the controller by pressing the small button at the back with a pin. I'm not sure about the firmware though. I've checked and checked Windows Update, but nothing has ever come up. So I'm not sure if a separate firmware update can be downloaded somewhere. My laptop has Bluetooth built in, but I've also used a Bluetooth dongle I have, and updated that, but nothing. It recognizes that it's connected according to Windows, but not Steam, the game, or Input Mapper/DS4Windows. My laptop only has two USB connectors - one of the left side and one on the right - and then two Thunderbolt 4 connectors. I've tried both standard USB slots, but I get the same issue. I only have the one USB connector for the controller as well, so I'm unable to test out another.

Last edited by a moderator: