Can’t uses system restore due to Norton.

Aug 22, 2018
My PC recently crashed during installation of a driver for an Asus wireless card. Windows will now not boot and I had to create a DVD installation media. I tried to use system restore but a file related to Norton is preventing the restore from completing.

Any advice?.

Thanks!,

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
With the installation media, you should be able to use it to "troubleshoot" and boot into safemode.

Once in safemode, you should be able to remove Norton if you wish (don't see why anybody would want to keep Norton) OR, temporarily rename the problem file.

Aug 22, 2018

Thanks, how do you boot into safe mode exactly?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
When you boot from the installation media, you'll be presented with options (you'll have seen them already). Going from memory here, but I think it's "repair" and "custom install". When you select repair, you should be presented with a lot of options; including "troubleshoot" or similar. Selecting that should bring up a sub-menu, which includes safe mode.

Aug 22, 2018

Hi, it won’t boot up in any of the safe modes or other options. The installation media still works. Is there any other way to disable Norton or delete the offending file?