Question can 1 stick be half max ram

Jan 3, 2023
I have a friend looking to upgrade the ram in their PC. I'm helping them pick things out, so here is the question: they have a max of 64gb of ram, and 4 ram slots, are we able to populate just one ram slot with 32gb or must we do a 2x16 kit? the mobo is the ASUS Prime B360M-A if that matters.

I have a friend looking to upgrade the ram in their PC. I'm helping them pick things out, so here is the question: they have a max of 64gb of ram, and 4 ram slots, are we able to populate just one ram slot with 32gb or must we do a 2x16 kit? the mobo is the ASUS Prime B360M-A if that matters.
That motherboard supports up to 64GB of memory. You could do either 2x 32GB or 4x 16GB.

By the way, if you are not doing serious video or audio editing 32GB (2x 16GB) should be plenty.

It looks like the max per slot is 16GB.

If you want 32 the options are 2x16 or 4x8.

2x16 kit is my pick.